Direction of ball for successful kick at goal

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Before my recent posting in the "unusual incidents" thread, I had a look at the laws regarding kicks at goal.

Law 8.4
For any goal to be successful, the ball must be kicked over the crossbar and between the goal posts without first touching a team-mate or the ground.

I can't see any mention of which direction the ball must be travelling... if the ball initially passes outside the posts, but is then blown back between the posts (and over the crossbar), is that kick successful?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't see any mention of which direction the ball must be travelling... if the ball initially passes outside the posts, but is then blown back between the posts (and over the crossbar), is that kick successful?
i could see this happening for a kick from the touchline, with a wind blowing along the pitch (indeed it may be the ONLY way that the kicker could possible get the ball over the crossbar, if the wind was strong.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There was a clarification not so long ago that said a ball kicked through the posts that was blown back through the posts was deemed to be a successful kick but I wouldnt give a kick that behaved as described in the OP on the grounds that I dont believe that was what was intended when the laws were written, nor what most would expect.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
right footed kicker, from the right hand touch line, strong adverse wind wind blowing .

position the tee right in the corner of the pitch, and use the wind - and a decent kick - to curl the ball through the posts the 'wrong' way. That would be a skillful kick worth awarding 2 points for.
:)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
right footed kicker, from the right hand touch line, strong adverse wind wind blowing .

position the tee right in the corner of the pitch, and use the wind - and a decent kick - to curl the ball through the posts the 'wrong' way. That would be a skillful kick worth awarding 2 points for.
:)
It would be a skilful kick, but would you actually award 2 points?

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
In my mind, the law read that the ball must go through the posts from direction of the playing area, but evidently it just says it must be kicked from the FOP.
Think I would stick with my instinct and not give it, but not sure how I’d answer any questions in the bar later.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It would be a skilful kick, but would you actually award 2 points?
I dunno !

I guess it depends on context, like is it a Papa Johns Cup final with 1 point in it... or is it Merit Table Div 4 . and the score is 65-5 and it's the tam with 5 that are taking the convesion ?

If the latter, I definitely would :)

if it was the former I'd be so hoping for a miss !

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
This could be done a different way, in relation to the video we have all seen today.

Kicker is taking a conversion/penalty kick at goal. It goes wide past the posts. Hits an apponent who is standing in in-goal and ricochets upwards over the post from the wrong direction, the ball does not touch the ground. Lets say he is trying to trap it on the ground with his foot but gets it wrong, save the knock on debate, and it pings upwards through the posts

Would the kick be successful? According to the law it would as direction is not a factor

PS. also for a ball kicked short under the posts, comes off a foot of an opponent in in-goal without touching the ground, up and over the bar...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There was a clarification not so long ago that said a ball kicked through the posts that was blown back through the posts was deemed to be a successful kick but I wouldnt give a kick that behaved as described in the OP on the grounds that I dont believe that was what was intended when the laws were written, nor what most would expect.
That is not the question.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I hink there is a clear inference that it goes from the FOP through the post not through the posts and into the FOP. Once through the posts a goal is scored whatever happens afterwards.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What do the ARs do?
The ball passes to the left / right / under the bar. They look at each other shake their heads and beging to retuem to the touchlines. Thy don't wait for the ball to turn in flight and come back through the posts.

Likewise as soon as the ball passes between the posts they signal success. What happens next is not important.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
We also cater for the 'Non-expert'. Many people view this site who are not regular players or referees.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In fairness the question is somewhat chopperesque.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
You include the words 'Chopperesque' and 'Fairness' in the same sentence? Shirely not the same thing Mister Bond.