Disciplinary hearing

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this was the right place to post it, but I've been asked to go to the discplinary hearing of a player who I sent off about a month ago and who is alleging I got the wrong guy.

My plan is to be in control of the facts, and just be honnest, but I was wondering whether anybody on here had been in the same or similar position and if you had any advice (without saying anything prejudicial to the hearing). Is it a good idea to wear a suit?

Thanks.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Does your society have a discipline officer? If so ask him what the local protocols are. If not, ask your society chairman.

Was this point made at the time?
What did you do to identify the offender?
Were there other people involved?
Does he have witnesses?
(Is the club willing to identify the "real" culprit? - not something you can ask the committee, but somebody might know the answer)

I am not asking for answers, merely suggesting points you should think about.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have attended numerous County and RFU Disciplinary meetings - this is a classic defence for a non-guilty plea.

Discuss it all with your Society Discipline Officer or Chairman.

Wear Society blazer / tie or suit & tie.

Stick to the facts as reported - it will all be based on your report. He will try to show you go the wrong guy - you need to focus on the fact you got the right one. Be clear as to what happened, clear sight line, x metres away, any boots/socks/shorts/headguard etc that distinguised the offender.

the more detailed you can be about the incident and him the more credible your identification will be.

He is claiming you got the wrong guy, but without knowing the details I can't advise you (send me a copy of dismissal report to my email and I can perhaps help)

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks OB. My understanding is the club have been asked to produce the guilty player. Anyway I shall probably give David Thomas a ring at some point as you suggested.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the club do produce the real guilty player, then your guy will probably get a not guilty finding. If that is the case hopefully your mistaken identity would be accepted in good faith and in speed & heat of the match.

In these sorts of cases some clubs will apply an internal club discipline sanction against the guilty guy in line with the IRB matrix, as the CB can't sanction a player not reported.

Other clubs may reckon they 'got away with it' and do nothing.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wonder if its a key player, and someone is taking the fall for him hmmm?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I would suggest that you remember that you are there as a witness, not as a prosecutor.

All you can do is say what you saw, and as Simon says describe why you believed that the player you identified at the time was the correct player.

Don't get hung up on the idea that you will be punished if they decide you were wrong, and try to force facts to protect yourself. I do not see any society hanging a ref out to dry for a single, honest, heat of battle mistake - if such happened.

I hope Simon Thomas will confirm that in respect of Hampshire.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Confirmed 100% Dave - and same goes for all Societies I have contacts in.

You ping and act of what you saw at that time.