thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Fairly cynical from the player IMO, 100% YC, to deter any other player OR the millions of the internet watchers from now thinking of developing/ using such a "tactic"

Rid it !

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A goal-kicker has to use the same ball that was in play when a try was scored or a PK awarded to kick at goal, but can the quick tap be taken with the replacement ball?

I always thought it was protocol that the ball could only be changed when it went into touch. If so, then the quick tap should not have been allowed. One of the white players obviously though so because he ran near the length of the field to retrieve it.

ETA: There must be something on this in regulations, because I recall Jonny Wilkinson being rebuked for changing the ball prior to a conversion during the last RWC

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 2.6: Spare balls may be available during a match, but a team must not gain or attempt to gain an unfair advantage by using them or changing them[/LAWS]

Apart from this, I'm not aware of any regulation concerning having two balls on the pitch - unlike in soccer, where it is an automatic whistle with a dropped ball restart. However, I think it clear that the arrival of the second ball - kicked in the direction of play by the attacking winger - distracted the defence. That is why the ref awarded the scrum restart (restart after any other stoppage - Law 20.4(d)), and why there was no penalty against the defender. First offence and all that.

IMO, the ref dealt with it correctly. Stern word to the person who sought to draw the 2nd ball to the ref's attention by throwing it into the melee. I agree with thepercy that it was a cock-up to allow the quick tap with the new ball - Law 2.6 again. Also tha the ref would ahve been well advised to ensure that the 1st ball was off the field before allowing even a normal PK restart.