[In-goal] Downward pressure / in control

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Am I missing something here? Did the officials in Paris change as I thought these were the officials:

France vs Scotland
@ Stade de France
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant Referees: Johnny Lacey (Ireland), Luke Pearce (England)
TMO: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)

If so what was Nigel doing making the call?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Ah right. Not clear from the thread.

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah right. Not clear from the thread.

My bad - when I said Nigel getting it wrong "here" I meant in relation to the podcast appearance which I linked in below that. Would be good to see that clarification on "control" though...

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
For me the discussion about control is about how you decide if the ball carrier is holding the ball as he touches the ground. The law does not require control, but it does require holding, and I think it is reasonable to conclude that holding requires some form of control over the ball, so that if a player loses control of the ball he by definition is no longer holding it and (if in goal and the ball touches the grass) a try cannot be scored, or (if in the field of play) you ask if the ball has gone forward and if so a scrum.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Remember there was a Law Clarification regarding Law 22.4(g) back in 2012 that said if a player guides a ball, that is in the air, to the ground (i.e. Guides not holds), he is deemed to be in possession/holding the ball.
Therefore a player can be holding the ball without grasping it.
Make sense?

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remember there was a Law Clarification regarding Law 22.4(g) back in 2012 that said if a player guides a ball, that is in the air, to the ground (i.e. Guides not holds), he is deemed to be in possession/holding the ball.
Make sense?

So how much contact do you need to "guide" - is constant contact with fingers enough or does the palm need to be involved... this is the crux of the debate really

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Make sense?

Here's is the Clarification:
The FFR request a clarification for the following:

Following a kick ahead, the ball goes over the goal line and whilst it is still up in the air, a player places his hand on it and grounds it. However, before this player grounds the ball, his feet are in touch.

We would like to know:

• Whether Law 22.4 (g) applies only to a ball already on the ground before it is touched down or other situations as described above;
• Whether the situation, as described above, is equivalent to “carrying the ball”.

Clarification in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee

Law 19 or Law 22.4 (g) applies;

• If player is carrying the ball, enters the opposition in-goal area and the player’s feet touch the touch-in-goal line or beyond then the player is in touch-in-goal and a try is not awarded. Law 19 Touch and Lineout – Definitions
• If a player is not carrying the ball then Law 22.4 (g) applies - Player in touch or touch-in-goal. If an attacking player is in touch or in touch-in-goal, the player can score a try by grounding the ball in the opponents’ in-goal provided the player is not carrying the ball.

The designated members confirm that:

1. A try should not be awarded,
2. The player is considered to be carrying the ball as the ball is in the air when it is first played and,
3. Law 22.4 (g) only applies if the ball is on the ground.

The clarification is not quite on the point. As the present discussion is purely about "control". In the Clarification Scenario the player places his hand on a loose ball. In the game situation the ball is held and "lost" (or not) forward whilst stil being in contact with the player.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
My bad - when I said Nigel getting it wrong "here" I meant in relation to the podcast appearance which I linked in below that. Would be good to see that clarification on "control" though...

If Nigel was talking on a podcast, I would doubt he got the "official" position wrong. So I am guessing he is presenting the WR line, as presented to the elite referees. So I would assume that the TMO and ref are also "correct" in respect of the official interpretation as well.

Do I agree with that interpretation? Who cares? My view is not relevant.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
If Nigel was talking on a podcast, I would doubt he got the "official" position wrong. So I am guessing he is presenting the WR line, as presented to the elite referees. So I would assume that the TMO and ref are also "correct" in respect of the official interpretation as well.

You'd expect so - but it'd be nice for WR to make the official interpretation public.

Not doing so just creates confusion for the spectators, particularly when nearly identical tries have been awarded this season.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
When was it ever different?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
DocY is spot on. If NO is stating the WR refs position that's great but he didn't make that clear at all, so now everybody that has listened to that podcast note believes that ion their next game control must be displayed etc. Once again the elite level has previously shafted you guys and left head roots papers, coaches and supporters misunderstanding start that can expect.

It's just not good enough.

Didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Not at all, If the powers to be tell me that that was no try that is how I must rule such a situation when I am in the middle. Why I think the law should be is not material I do as I am told.

Of course, I will decide if I think control is present and I've no TV camera to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The beauty is at the level most of us referee at there is no video replay, so very difficult for anyone to challenge our decision. Explaining that decision might be a separate problem......

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and I perceive that at grass roots levels tries will be awarded for all but the most obvious (C&O) drops

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
and I perceive that at grass roots levels tries will be awarded for all but the most obvious (C&O) drops

didds
Really? I'd not expect tries such as the one under discussion to be given in a grass roots game. But as Paule says - there probably isn't going to be much of a fuss whatever you decide.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I meant more of the "finger tip all the way" type tries.

didds