Drop goal / wrong posts

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bit like the legendary Christy Cantillon try vs New Zealand 1978 - fair ould team try! :pepper:

There is a funny aside to this one.

Apparently, so someone worked out, if everyone who claimed to have been at Thomond Park when Munster beat the All Blacks, actually was there, the attendance would have been in the order of 800,000!!

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hello,
With a tail wind, playing on the High Veld, perhaps the Springbok fullback might possibly score from 70m , on an exceptional day. However for us mere mortals, kicking from anywhere inside our own 22, is "to touch" only.

This following example, (of a place kick) must be the UK record :

Welsh fullback Paul Thorburn put over one of the biggest kicks you will ever see, at just over 60 meters.

Anyway in the context of this discussion, he'd have to be dropping a goal inside the opposition 22, when the hurricane-like winds carry the ball back thru' his own posts. I'm confident the match referee would know that an own goal wasn't possible in XV.

Actually that is what they called Jannie De Beer after slaughteringg England with Le Drop. You live by the drop you can die by the drop. One of the coolest or strangest one I have seen was the drop goal of Stephen Larkham in the 99 WC semi. He threw it on his boot and it went lover Waqar Younis style!

Longest drop in modern game the one of Frans Steyn must be up there. But its hard to say as a 40 meter drop at altitude equals a 60 meter one at high altitude.

Here is the Frans Steyn one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkPOO2tF0o

That went over with room to spare.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Cave dweller,
The Frans Steyn drop is pretty impressive, wish I could have done that in my playing days. (Not much use my starting now...)

Hi Ian,
The local papers linked in my previous post put the official attendance at 13,000 souls. While only two of the three official match balls were actually used on the day, the number of "actual" match balls displayed in fancy glass cabinets around the Isles of the North grows from year to year.

Munster Rugby museum have come up with a novel solution. They have displayed the match ball (only it has a nozzel, :redface: while the 1978 ball was a laced type. :sad:) They will be happy to replace their ball with any other proven to be authentic.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Oops,
The odd quote to back that up might have been helpful :
(I know many won't click on links, because of the "fun police" at work)

Munster Rugby say :
"If it's proven that it (the displayed ball) isn't genuine-and I mean if-then we'll have to get the other ball, won't we?"

[laws]Touch judge (on that faithful day) Johnny Cole, managed to sneak off the pitch with the match ball stuffed up his jersey after the All Black wing, Bryan Williams, a lawyer, handed it over to him. Arriving in the dressing room, Cole was accosted by Munster’s assistant treasurer who asked him for the “three pounds and four shillings you owe for the ball.” Source : A 2005 book on club history.[/laws]

Anyway, we at least got a unique rugby hymn out of the glorious day "Stand Up And Fight"

Last edited: