Drop goal / wrong posts

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Would it still count?

A drop goal through the posts at one's own in goal.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From the definitions:

[LAWS]
Goal: A player scores a goal by kicking the ball over an opponents’ crossbar and between the goal posts from the field of play, by a place kick or drop-kick. A goal cannot be scored from a kick-off, drop-out or free kick.[/LAWS]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what about if there are 2 grounds end to end and the kick goes over 2 crossbars. 6 points?

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Anyway, as I read the definitions, it seems that a drop goal from within a teams own in-goal area where the ball flies all across the pitch for 100+ m and goes over the crossbar shouldn't be allowed. Someone should reach Francois Steyn and dare him to do that so we can see the ref's reaction.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello,
With a tail wind, playing on the High Veld, perhaps the Springbok fullback might possibly score from 70m+, on an exceptional day. However for us mere mortals, kicking from anywhere inside our own 22, is "to touch" only.
Ledgend has it that during the 1961 All Black Test 5 v 3 France (which was played in 80 mph winds) ; Les Bleus scored an 87m drop goal, with the help of that southernly wind.

:)holysheep: I don't believe for a minute that it actually was 87m.)
The NZers labelled Pierre Albaladejo as "Monsieur Le Drop" after that kick. Since the Athletic Park, Wellington has since been demolished, one suspects we shall never see the likes again.

This following example, (of a place kick) must be the UK record :

Welsh fullback Paul Thorburn put over one of the biggest kicks you will ever see, at just over 60 meters.

Anyway in the context of this discussion, he'd have to be dropping a goal inside the opposition 22, when the hurricane-like winds carry the ball back thru' his own posts. I'm confident the match referee would know that an own goal wasn't possible in XV.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Cue Ian's video of Dan Carter (I believe) scoring a 62m kick. I believe that is equal to the world record.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Great play by Munster.

(I'm a Glasgow fan!)

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Great play by Munster.

(I'm a Glasgow fan!)
Stuart Hogg silenced the home crowd at Thomond Park last season :

Ouch, that's painful viewing when one's a Munster supporter. (A win's a win though. ;) )
79:33 minutes of play :
Question : did the referee bottle a yellow card? - Red11 playing the man (Stuart Hogg) without the ball

Sorry irishref, Didn't see your post ; for an impartial opinion, ask Robbie.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Hoggy's a great player, that second try was great team work.

He'll be a key man in the Scotland squad for the Nov tests if there is any hope of beating NZ for the first time.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have both seen (and also done it myself) PKs kicked from own 10m line, and even further back towards own 22m with strong wind occasionally.

Also seen a few drop goals from half-way line, and did a few myself from oppos 10m line, but never beyond that.

I wasn't playing in the match but saw Bob Hiller in early 1980s at a charity game drop kick out from 25 yds line (as it was then) and split the uprights (on a full size pitch). Done for a pre-match bet with host club Chairman and money duly paid to charity with a flourish afterwards. Would have been a leather Gilbert, which (when dry) I could certainly kick further than a modern ball.

As for Dan Carter have a look here - the kick across the road is amazing !

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Welsh fullback Paul Thorburn put over one of the biggest kicks you will ever see, at just over 60 meters.

I thought the record for a PK was held (done) by a kid at school in Bridlington in the 50s. I'm sure I remember it from the Guiness Book of Records 1972 - I thought it was 80m ish but may have just dreamt it. I seemed to recall he was called Ernie Something. I'll have a google when I have my dinner.

Googling complete.

Ernie's big boots

Two points -

6'1" and 15st winger whilst still at school and during rationing!!!????!?!??!?

What's the Army doing playing Rugby against a school in 1944?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ledgend has it that during the 1961 All Black Test 5 v 3 France (which was played in 80 mph winds) ; Les Bleus scored an 87m drop goal, with the help of that southernly wind.

:)holysheep: I don't believe for a minute that it actually was 87m.)
The NZers labelled Pierre Albaladejo as "Monsieur Le Drop" after that kick. Since the Athletic Park, Wellington has since been demolished, one suspects we shall never see the likes again.

In the 1961 test to which you refer, France's 3 points came from a try by Jean Dupuy.

Pierre Albajedo scored two dropped goals in the 1961 test at Eden park, but neither of them was anywhere near 87m. Both were in the first half, and both were from less than 55 yards

In the 1968 Test at Athletic park, Pierre Villepreaux scored a penalty goal from 15 yards inside his own half and about 20 yards right of centre. By my estimate, I make that about 73 yards... in new money, that's about 67 metres.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just as a point of interest. Your thoughts on Munster 6 diving on top of the maul in that clip? Can't see the point of it and reckless at best, dangerous to my mind.

I Tend to agree. I was thinking possible PK. Although by the law the maul ceases to exist in-goal, so not a maul infringement, so it comes down to assessing if it's foul play under law 10. The action was essentially a means to collapsing the pile of bodies (that looked like and previously was named a maul) and the law says collapsing a maul is dangerous, so therefore you could easily deduce a deliberate act like that must also be dangerous.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I Tend to agree. I was thinking possible PK. Although by the law the maul ceases to exist in-goal, so not a maul infringement, so it comes down to assessing if it's foul play under law 10. The action was essentially a means to collapsing the pile of bodies (that looked like and previously was named a maul) and the law says collapsing a maul is dangerous, so therefore you could easily deduce a deliberate act like that must also be dangerous.

the action served no purpose either - if the Edinburgh no.8 was pushed over the deadball line - as the momentum suggests would have happened - restart is the same. Red scrum on the 5m line.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
the action served no purpose either - ...
irishref,
From the perspective of the flanker, the whole point was to bring down the "maul_like" structure ; perhaps in the hope that a try would be awarded. In the heat of the moment, he'd surely not have been thinking of all possible outcomes of his actions.

Much worst, to my mind, (albeit less dangerous) was the unsporting behaviour (ribbing of Black8) by Red forwards after the "maul-like thingy" collapsed.

Hi Ian,
My bad.
However it's the stuff of Stuff of Legends, (excuse my Typo in earlier post) so it's not really my claim that he scored a drop. (source (of error) : out there somewhere on the WWW)

Bit like the legendary Christy Cantillon try vs New Zealand 1978 - fair ould team try! :pepper:

Local studies are worth a browse too, if anyone's interested in that particular topic.

Last edited: