Drop Out or scrum back

nightrider56

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I awarded a penalty inside black 22 (in at the side). Black No 10 puts in a huge kick and the ball goes (without touching another player) across the yellow DBL. I awarded a 22 drop out to yellow. Should I have offered the scrum back option? or would that only be from open play?
Thanks
Vince

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
Scrum back.
Same thing happened on Sat Fiji v Barbarians, I think it was Pat Lambe went for the corner from a penalty kick, wrong side of the corner flag, scrum to Fiji. If I remember rightly Fiji then gave away a penalty at the scrum so he had another go almost immediately. Got that one right

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
it's actually options "scrum back or 22m Drop out"

Now i'm guessing (unless they're getting stuffed in the scrums) they'll take the scrum options, but to be correct you need to offer :wink:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I offered scrum back or 22 to a team once and such was their haste to get on with it captain or pack leader said "scrum". His team mates were well impressed as they packed down for a scrum about 6 metres out from their goal line.

nightrider56

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
It was the penalty that threw me! Won't get that wrong again! Thanks for the replies

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I awarded a penalty inside black 22 .... Black No 10 puts in a huge kick and the ball goes (without touching another player) across the yellow DBL. I awarded a 22 drop out to yellow. Should I have offered the scrum back option?
The easiest way I found to remember it is that if the ball is kicked through ingoal, it's always a 22DO / Scrum option, except for:

• A failed PK at the posts or
  • A failed drop kick attempt.

Last edited:

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
Sorry guys forgot the 22DO option, can't think of any captain that would go for that in the scenario given except maybe by 'mistake', see above

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry guys forgot the 22DO option, can't think of any captain that would go for that in the scenario given except maybe by 'mistake', see above

depends where the scrum would be. If it's a scrum inside your own 22m, and scrums haven't been going too well, you might well prefer to have the 22m dropout and boot the ball way down field.

in the OP the scrum is way down field, so yes you'd take that!