Dropping the shoulder

bellnier

Post Likes
USA Rugby's Game Management Guidelines 2012 states that "leading with the shoulder (making deliberate contact with the shoulder first, and then wrapping with the arm/s) or swinging the arm into contact" when tackling is foul play and should lead to PK and admonishment and/or suspension.

Why is there no similar law for the ball carrier? Or is there? This weekend in a college woman's game there were several instances where the attacking ball carrier, awarded a penalty near the goal line, would turn, dip her shoulder, and drive upward into a defensive player...it seemed almost as if this sort of punishing contact, and not scoring, was ball carrier's purpose. If the shoulder is driven into contact into the tacklers head is this considered dangerous play at least? Thanks.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"Why is there no similar law for the ball carrier?" because rugby is a contact sport, tag and touch alternatives exist for those for whom the contact element is too much.

The leading shoulder (and/or forearm in Hampshire, especially at Alton :biggrin:) has been a common contact technique in my rugby career back to 1970. No law against it, unless it is viewed by the match official as dangerous play.

If the tackler doesn't want to receive the shoulder, then tackle low. Or if a big-hitter in the tackle, confront the physicality of the sholuder with their own as the tackler.

The tackler needs to master the techniques and keep his/her head out of the contact area.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No, its considered good play.

The ball carrier would not try to wrap an arm around the tackler... he will try to run through the contact. The potential tackler has all the freedom to get himself in the right position and to deny the ball the chance to drive through him with a shoulder. If he can't, he'd better learn.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Two things spring to mind.

1) making contact with the shoulder first and then wrapping with the arms is the standard way of tackling, as taught the world over. Why on earth would you call that foul play? RFU Tackling Technique

2) if the ball carriers shoulder is hitting the would be tacklers head, then the tackler is coming in too high and deserves everything they get.

EDIT: two others beat me to it, but it's nice to see we are all singing off the same hymn sheet (Simon, the next hymn is Sweet Chariot!)

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
two others beat me to it, but it's nice to see we are all singing off the same hymn sheet (Simon, the next hymn is Sweet Chariot!)[/QUOTE

Phil, I have got Calon Lân on mine :biggrin:

bellnier

Post Likes
Thanks everyone. And Davet, I may quote you since that is what I tell any gal that complains about this...

Last edited: