Edinburgh v Treviso 19th Dec 2014 Mass Brawl

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
So at last nights Edinburgh v Treviso match I was fortunate to recieve 2 free tickets from the Society to go and watch the game.

All looked good for Edinburgh postig the first try in under a minute from Sam Hildalgo-Clyne and then captain Mike Coman gave the hosts a 17-0 lead at the break. Bitterly cold night resulted in numerous cups of tea from the Doc, nice to have friends in high places with access to a kettle!!

Second half started off well with Edinburgh going through the phases and WP scoring a try from the back of a maul 2m out from the line, no doubt he now states it was from a whole 30m out :biggrin: as most front rows do when they score.

The match however turned sour after 65 minutes when a mass brawl – initiated by Romulo Acosta who recieved a RC – ended up amongst the crowd. Romulo was seen to have thrown several punches, first on lock Fraser McKenzie and then on Grayson Hart who, for his retaliation, was shown a YC, this incident involved numerous players and support staff/team members in the technical areas.

For the entirity of the first half myself and friends had been stood at this exact spot, we moved in the 2nd half.

Have a look at this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRXas4R_nhs

I know he got a straight RC but personally think he is in for a long ban for what looked like a totally unprovoked attack on a player on the floor with at least 5-8 punches connecting.

Last edited:

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Punches to the back of the head also with the player looking the wrong way.....

The ref summed it up well 'that was an absolute disgrace'

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
18 Treviso should expect a long ban at high entry for unprovoked attack on defenceless opponent.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
18 Treviso should expect a long ban at high entry for unprovoked attack on defenceless opponent.

Agree. Cowardly initial striking.
His teammate looked at him .... as if to say.... " wtf ! That wasnt necessary, ...why?!! "

But looking at the video, i suspect that might have been the end of the incident ( certainly the AR immediately saw & called the incident) .... Frazer Mc likely wasnt too badly hurt, nor did he appear at further risk of attack, so, If the other three Edinburgh players hadn't then run at no18 i suspect it might have ended there ( aside from FM jumping up and seeking personal revenge)

Then having been thrown to the ground T18 gets up and GH then throws another punch toward him as he again pursues T18 into the Barriers.

GH should also have been :rc: IMO.

I've often said the retaliation Law is a "brawl prevention" law, and this is a good example as to why it exists.

Should have restarted with a PK to Treviso. :horse:

Ps ....YC for punches landing in a different area of the body, sorry referee you got that wrong IMO, its the same 10.4(a) offence :nono:

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree re retaliation but in this case I am content that the Match Officials made the correct decisions.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Examine E21 actions in isolation

He's not part of the initial tussle.
He runs in from some distance, Punches T18 ( who returns a couple back)
Then a Treviso player separates E21 from T18 by bringing him to ground,
E21 escapes that and again runs at T18 from a distance and throws another punch at T18 before leading the drive of T18 into the barriers.

Why aren't E21s repeated chasing-2-punch deserving of a RC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree re retaliation but in this case I am content that the Match Officials made the correct decisions.

What did you think about the referee saying "that was an absolute disgrace"?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
pretty fair summary of the situation if you ask me, although probably not for the official to comment on.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Examine E21 actions in isolation

He's not part of the initial tussle.
He runs in from some distance, Punches T18 ( who returns a couple back)
Then a Treviso player separates E21 from T18 by bringing him to ground,
E21 escapes that and again runs at T18 from a distance and throws another punch at T18 before leading the drive of T18 into the barriers.

Why aren't E21s repeated chasing-2-punch deserving of a RC?

If E21 is deserving of a RC then the citing officer will do his job hopefully.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Had E21 got a red he would only have had himself to blame. Indeed I feel he was lucky to only get yellow. But like Mr T, I am happy that the officials got an acceptable answer based on what they saw.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think E21 was lucky to only get a YC and wouldn't be surprised if citing officer has to break off wrapping his presents to point out to him the error of his ways.

Banned 'til Burns Night!

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
What did you think about the referee saying "that was an absolute disgrace"?

I think the referee was well within his rights to say that to both Captain's whilst he had them together to reinforce the point that it was an absolute disgrace,

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That is plain and simply assault. No place for that in this beautiful game. Should also have criminal charges laid on him

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
And he said unto the 18, "You're obviously confusing the pitch as a boxing ring, now get off it!"

I reckon he would have said, "Boxing Day is next week, red card."

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'm with Browner (except on one point) there were at least two red card there. The Edninburgh retaliation was out of order. I have Red carded E21 but stuck with the First PK against Treviso. It will be interesting to find out what started the trouble on hte ground. Whilst not excusing the Treviso player it is highly unlikely that his tirade of punches were completely unprovoked.

(Edit just watched it again): E21 actions clearly caused the spill over int othe barrieres etc. PK reversal in order. How he was not RC'd is crazy.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Without wanting to get involved 'twixt mod and poster I though it more than appropriate that E21 get a mention in the context of the OP and the mass brawl. I know if your Auntie had bollocks she'd be your Uncle however if E21 has kept his head the brawl spilling into (and through) the barriers and the continuation of the fight may well not have happened.

That's not to excuse T18, who deserves a long ban, but E21 inflamed the situation and will be lucky to stay at yellow IMO.