ELRA 3 paperwork

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I'm busy at the moment filling out my ELRA 3 self-evaluations. Most of the questions are straightforward enough although the answers require some thought. However, this one has me stumped: "To what extent was your approach to the match appropriate?" I'm not sure what aspects I should be covering here. Any suggestions? There's an earlier question regarding pre-match preparation so that's not relevant to this question.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Here is a response i gave to that question, it's 5 years old so now would be out of date, but might help....

As it was only the second game of the season I ensured that all players understood the ELV’s and went through the key points with both teams as a large number of them didn’t know them. As I had been warned that OS had an inexperienced front row I ensured that the early sets for the scrums were well managed to ensure the safety of all players.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The question is about how did your management style reflect the level, type and temper of the match.

Were you strict or were you relaxed ?
Did you penalise quickly or did you try to manage with preventative calls ?
How did you react to and deal with changes in the temper of the match ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The question is about how did your management style reflect the level, type and temper of the match.

Exactly, think Contextual Judgement.

Remember at the start of the course, the instructor would have said something like; "do we referee a Premiership game in the same way as we referee the 4th team at Old Bogsonians?"

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That's very helpful guys - many thanks.