ELRA IRB Alignment

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Idle curiousity question.

At a junior match, the ref (home club coach) was wearing a shirt with IRB referee logo on. One of the spectators asked what difference was between IRB and ELRA schemes. (Actually she first asked why I didn't take to the field wearing such a natty lime green number :wink: )

I had to confess I had no idea so thought I'd ask.

Is there any aligment between the schemes?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Not having taken the ELRA - but the IRB have the course descriptions on their website.

ELRA Part 1 is probably a good equivalent of IRB 1
IRB 2 is more advanced (possibly the first Society course above ELRA part 2)
IRB 3 is probably equivalent to the next up Society course.

There is supposed to (so I am led to believe) supposed to be some sort of alignment.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Funnily enough I spoke to AM of RFU at recent Society Managers conference on just this topic.

ELRA is RFU's own course, and is follow on from NFC.

NFC and old RFU C & B tests were used as basis for original IRB qualifications but since then RFU with ELRA and IRB with their three stage process have followed different methodologies to reach the same overall targets as referees qualify initially and develop through two further stages.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Speaking from bitter experience, having passed old style B grade RFU qualifications it stood me in absolutely no stead at all with USA RUgby. I had to take IRB 1 and IRB 2 to be allowed to be assessed.

[/rant]

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
have seen the shirts for sale on link from IRB site and they look quite nice although no doubt you will get asked as it has IRB levels marked on
Duncanb