Ending the game vs “coaching”

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had a 65-5 game last week so the young visiting stand off had plenty of kick off practice.
No matter how many times I hinted to kick it the other way or grubber it he ignored me and kept dollying it up to the 22 where the opposition just ran it straight back.🤷‍♂️
Had to do something similar when an inexperienced U15 were being taken apart at every breakdown and were starting to lash out in frustration. After yet another screaming match at each other after being opened up again, I just made the comment “well, if you keep leaving that massive hole next to the ruck then of course they’re going to run through you…”

The light came on and they at least became competitive. They still lost (badly, no “mercy rule” in the league) but at least they didn’t tear each other apart or boil over against the opposition which was a real possibility at one point.

Not something I normally do, but in this case it felt justified to keep the peace and rescue the match before the losing team did something stupid.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yeah, I agree. There are several events that can happen that will prevent a game from ending after time has expired and it would be onerous to list every one to both captains. eg:

- penalty kick to touch (as previously mentioned)
- lineout throw not straight
- kick off (aka restart after a score) that doesn't go 10 or goes out on full

Are there others?
add to this : ball touches referee

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think I heard the referee (in the game where Hartley was sent off) answer a question by telling the kicker he had to tap it first. Nothing wrong with that, though I think the kicker ignored him. And the rest is history.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think I heard the referee (in the game where Hartley was sent off) answer a question by telling the kicker he had to tap it first. Nothing wrong with that, though I think the kicker ignored him. And the rest is history.
He said "you can't kick it out", but given his (Wayne Barnes) west country accent, the players heard it as "you *can* kick it out".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He said "you can't kick it out", but given his (Wayne Barnes) west country accent, the players heard it as "you *can* kick it out".
and neither of those phrases answered the actual question they were asking, which wasn't about whether they were allowed the kick the ball out, but was about : if they did, would that be the end of the half or not.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and neither of those phrases answered the actual question they were asking, which wasn't about whether they were allowed the kick the ball out, but was about : if they did, would that be the end of the half or not.

I believe he actually said something like "you can't kick it straight out, it has to land in play".