Enforcing 7s scrum binding

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Refereed at a 7s event yesterday way out of my normal jurisdiction.

Was running touch and saw one team that at scrums, the hooker did not bind on nor did the props bind to him.

First game I had with them, I told and showed them at scrum time I expected compliance. They complied the entire game.

An hour later, I have them again - same issue, this time I penalize, telling them “I warned you last game.”

Where I’m questioning myself is that it was drilled into me that “no one watches 7s for scrums,” but to me this is a safety issue that is easy to check as a ref and easy to comply with. I also suspect that the team in question (a top-level college team) is coached to do this.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
basic question : what do the laws require?
If the laws require them to bind, then they need to bind.

If they aren't binding, and the laws require it, the question then is "why are they choosing to not follow the laws" ?

(I know an answer to that FWTW! Its more a rhetorical question :) )

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I also suspect that the team in question (a top-level college team) is coached to do this.
100%.
especially having told by YOU to bind, and they then complied, NOT to do it again when they next have YOU indicates

1) its a deliberate policy
2) they are not very bright!

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Our 7s Game Management briefing specifically called out hooker not being bound and to actively look for it - due to advantage in escaping the scrum quickly - so most likely coached….

100% right decision from you.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Refereed at a 7s event yesterday way out of my normal jurisdiction.

Was running touch and saw one team that at scrums, the hooker did not bind on nor did the props bind to him.

First game I had with them, I told and showed them at scrum time I expected compliance. They complied the entire game.

An hour later, I have them again - same issue, this time I penalize, telling them “I warned you last game.”

Where I’m questioning myself is that it was drilled into me that “no one watches 7s for scrums,” but to me this is a safety issue that is easy to check as a ref and easy to comply with. I also suspect that the team in question (a top-level college team) is coached to do this.
What was the hooker doing if they weren't binding? Props bound and hooker only standing in the gap?

Bizarrely it shows a full scrum even in the sevens variations section!

7. The players in the scrum bind in the following way:​
a. The props bind to the hooker.​
b. The hooker binds with both arms. This can be either over or under the arms of the props​

I used to bind over the props for full scrums and under the props for svens although it was called sevens when I played. One ref pulled us up once and I asked how he was determining binding he was being pedantic and required us to bind over the top and this inhibits the ability of the hooker to break and get into the action as recognised by @RemainingInTheGame but if the bind is legal why do you want to inhibit play?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What was the hooker doing if they weren't binding? Props bound and hooker only standing in the gap?

Hooker had his arms around the props, but wasn’t bound in.

Very much appreciate the feedback here - it crossed my mind a couple times on the long trek back, and wanted outside input.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hooker had his arms around the props, but wasn’t bound in.

Very much appreciate the feedback here - it crossed my mind a couple times on the long trek back, and wanted outside input.
Only arms around?

Or:
Binding: Grasping another player’s body firmly between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.

What where the props doing binding on each other and did they also have arms around the hooker?

Under or over the props legally doesn't matter but if they are not grasping then yes they are not bound. But if binding under the props, legalyl, it is easy to slip the binding and extricate yourself whilst your own props might just decide not to let go of their opponents quite as quickly!

Bear in mind the laws are there for the formation of a scrum. If they bind and engage, you confirm happy with this, they have met the laws regarding formation.

Ball comes in gets hooked and they then break the bind and move at what point are you feeling it is illegal?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's something else to think about. If you warn/admonish a team/player in one game, does that carry over to subsequent games? I think not ... the clock should be reset

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hooker was not grasping anything.

Here's something else to think about. If you warn/admonish a team/player in one game, does that carry over to subsequent games? I think not ... the clock should be reset
In hindsight, I could have pinged the offending side in the first game, but instead chose to manage it, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and it was borne out by compliance the rest of that game.

Clearly the message didn’t fully sink in, given that it happened an hour later.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hooker was not grasping anything.

In hindsight, I could have pinged the offending side in the first game, but instead chose to manage it, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and it was borne out by compliance the rest of that game.

Clearly the message didn’t fully sink in, given that it happened an hour later.
Yeah I get that. But what would you have done if other team hadn't bound at the first scrum? Ping or manage. If manage, you aren't treating the teams on the field in an equitable manner.

What would you do in a 15s game? For example, you have Red offside all day and you've exhausted your ATP arsenal. Next Saturday, you have Red again. Are you going to YC the first offside?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Red Cards count for the whole tournament, unless there is a Disciplinary Panel to consider over-turning. The bigger tournaments may well tot up YCs to the same player/team. But referees should approach each game afresh, as there will be a degree of randomness as to appointments and teams involved. That is not to say that you would not remind a team where they fell short of your standards previously - get your Ask, even Tell, in early!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's a tactic in 7s to release themselves from the scrum quicker and get back in play before the opposition. ATP.