England in NZ

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What's wrong with just using dates?

Because the actual dates will change every year, so Regulation 9 would have to contain an appendix with a schedule several years in advance.

By specifying a day by its relative position w.r.t. the first day of the month, a date is implied anyway.

If I tell you that a regular meeting takes place on the third Tuesday of every month, its much simpler than giving you a schedule of dates.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
June 1st is a Sunday, so in NZ we would consider that to be the first weekend in June.

So, in New Zealand, and given that 31st May is a Saturday, is the last weekend in May the same weekend as the first weekend in June?

you guys have really done a number on the Poms :nz:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, in New Zealand, and given that 31st May is a Saturday, is the last weekend in May the same weekend as the first weekend in June?

Yep, and its perfectly logical if you think about it for a moment (yes, I know you're Australian but if you try hard I'm sure you can do it. :pepper:

If it wasn't so, then the last weekend in May would be the 24th/25th, and the first weekend in June would be the 6th/7th. Since nothing can exist between last and first, the weekend of 31 May/1 June wouldn't exist at all! :biggrin:

It just makes more logical sense. Put it this way, the first day of July is Tuesday the 1st, right? If I were to tell you that I was gong to arrive at your place at the end of the first week of July, when would you expect me to be there, around the 4th or around the 11th?

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He's right, it is a farce. Devalues the test series for both sides.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
He's right, it is a farce. Devalues the test series for both sides.

Yep, exactly...
However, what happens IF the 'Saxons' do well against the All Blockers , that'll sure be a confidence builder for the RWC .

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

If it wasn't so, then the last weekend in May would be the 24th/25th, and the first weekend in June would be the 6th/7th. Since nothing can exist between last and first, the weekend of 31 May/1 June wouldn't exist at all! :biggrin:

There's a logical fallacy here; it is not true that every weekend has to be in a month. The weekend of 31 May/1 June 2014 is a perfect example of this. It falls in neither May nor June. It straddles both months.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Who cares what caused it.

Net result is that it's (another) devalued tour down south.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The tour dates were set in 2010, which is interesting in itself, because the amended iRB regulation 9 which specifies the new Global Release periods, did not come out until 2012 (as a consequence of the need to get Argentinian players releases to play in The Rugby Championship).

At the time the tour dates were agreed, we were still under the old regulation 9, which didn't mention test windows at all. Instead, the iRB set them, there were only two and the were specified as...

Winter/Summer - The 3 weekends following June 1st
Autumn/Spring - The 3 weekends following November 1st

Therefore, the 7 June test WAS originally in the official window, but in the meantime, the official window changed, and nobody noticed the impact of the changes on already arranged fixtures.

What a cock-up!!

Last edited: