England v BaaBaas

dickell

Post Likes
Any thoughts on the officiating? I thought that they were taken up by the occasion and failed to apply the laws, esp iro forward passes.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In a Barbarians match? No. Surely not.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Saw a couple that may have warranted closer scrutiny, but wasn’t too bothered, then i’m a member of the play on gang unless obvious - it was all positive attacking play too so good for the game.

As ever the off feet and non binding clear outs at the ruck where a joke though

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
*shrug*. Its a circus game. Nobody takes anything that happens in it at all seriously do they?

didds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's the BaBas, people want to watch attacking, exciting rugby and don't want to always see play called back for marginal (although) correct decisions on forward passes etc. TV, entertainment rugby, you've got to let some things go.

Same as your Dads vs Lads match, Overs vs Unders etc at your local club. A referee without some empathy for that type of game should maybe watch from the sidelines and let a less officious person takeover.

Note I'm talking 'special' matches here.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I get Zebra's point entirely. Its why I don't place much stock in such games, and personally I don;t even enjoy them really.

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I get Zebra's point entirely. Its why I don't place much stock in such games, and personally I don;t even enjoy them really.

I don't think Eddie enjoyed it either. :chin:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Strange... It's precisely why I *do* enjoy them!

Snap, any other day I would be furious at that England performance, but as a BaBa's game I was just enjoying the spectacle and applauding every try at either end. I've sent the highlights reel to the kids I coach, looking forward to that going wrong next season!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Snap, any other day I would be furious at that England performance

I was more thinking to ref.

I'm still a bit miffed by England's performance. That second or third try - the one where Russell offloaded off the deck - what were the defence doing?! Spectating, by the looks of it!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was more thinking to ref.

Ah, fair enough, yeah I enjoy reffing the silly ones as long as in the right spirit, my last game of the season was an in house over 30s vs unders, was a great laugh, biggest challenge was 'encouraging' the over 30s to stop 'accidentally' having too many players on the pitch ;-)

I'm still a bit miffed by England's performance. That second or third try - the one where Russell offloaded off the deck - what were the defence doing?! Spectating, by the looks of it!

I'd given up by then, after seeing Robshaw's attempt to tackle on the first one I just grabbed a beer and enjoyed the attacking play!