England v France . Feeding scrum

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
How often to you have to reset scrums at your level?

It really depends on the weather more than anything. If there hasn't been any rain all week, scrum resets are rare. If the ground is soggy, on the other hand....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the most common reason I seem to have to reset a scrum is ball coming straight out the tunnel.

not sure what the ref can do about that -- except to allow more foot up and feeding !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
the most common reason I seem to have to reset a scrum is ball coming straight out the tunnel.

not sure what the ref can do about that -- except to allow more foot up and feeding !

Ping em first time for foot up.
It will rarely happen again.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
On average over my last 24 games, 22% of scrums were reset. Maximum 41%, minimum 10%

Scrums: max 34, min 13
Resets: max 10, min 2

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

You could suggest that the SH put a wee bit of backspin on the ball so that it stops dead in the tunnel.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
On average over my last 24 games, 22% of scrums were reset. Maximum 41%, minimum 10%

OB, do you record the causes? Do wheels through 90 count as a reset or a new scrum?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

IYO , Is this mainly influenced by the referee tolerance or the scrummagers attitude , toward ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB, do you record the causes? Do wheels through 90 count as a reset or a new scrum?
I note them at the time but do not transfer the reasons to my permanent records. Usually it is because the scrum is unstable or incorrect in some way. Maybe one front row wants a reset, someone slips, neither front row is bound properly, #8s not being bound on etc.