England v South Africa

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was speaking to a South African mate yesterday, big rugby fan, who was at Twickenham on Saturday. Said he'd forgotten how little time the ball is in play in international rugby and how often the crowd spend wondering what is going on. So many stoppages, resets, TMO referrals, injuries etc. Said he never thought he be sat at Twickenham watching the Springboks beat England and his overwhelming emotion was boredom. I can't help feeling that if genuine rugby fans feel that, attracting new audiences can only be an uphill struggle.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
one reason why I hacvent been to an men's international outside of calcutrta cup for over decade - and the calcutta cup is a weekend holiday in Edinburgh so while the driving reason not the only one.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I was speaking to a South African mate yesterday, big rugby fan, who was at Twickenham on Saturday. Said he'd forgotten how little time the ball is in play in international rugby and how often the crowd spend wondering what is going on. So many stoppages, resets, TMO referrals, injuries etc. Said he never thought he be sat at Twickenham watching the Springboks beat England and his overwhelming emotion was boredom. I can't help feeling that if genuine rugby fans feel that, attracting new audiences can only be an uphill struggle.
I don’t doubt your pal‘s feelings about the game for one moment but, I thought that AG kept it moving better than some other games this autumn.

Indeed, they keep going until a stoppage (try + conversion) before looking at the red card incident. Must admit I found that rather odd as watching on TV it looked really clear at the time.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I don’t doubt your pal‘s feelings about the game for one moment but, I thought that AG kept it moving better than some other games this autumn.

Indeed, they keep going until a stoppage (try + conversion) before looking at the red card incident. Must admit I found that rather odd as watching on TV it looked really clear at the time.
I rather enjoyed Mr Carley's outing this weekend.