England v Wales Scrums

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Did anyone else notice the referee shouting "don't move your feet" at most of the scrums? What was this about?

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Normally this is in reference to props taking a step out to change the focus/direction of their drive (or whip the scrum round). I'm sure he has no problems with props moving forward (or backward) as long as they don't step out to drive inwards/whip the scrum round.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Normally this is in reference to props taking a step out to change the focus/direction of their drive (or whip the scrum round). I'm sure he has no problems with props moving forward (or backward) as long as they don't step out to drive inwards/whip the scrum round.

plus also don't move your feet BEFORE the ball comes in - then the scrum cannot move from the set.

didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Noticed this and thought it was very strange. If they do move their feet is he going to penalise? Seems like Ref. is asking for something he cannot justify or enforce, which is not a position I would like to put myself in! !

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
plus also don't move your feet BEFORE the ball comes in - then the scrum cannot move from the set.

didds

So if the balance is not right keep your feet still and fall over? Sorry the referee can't tell people to do anything unless the laws of the game require it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Noticed this and thought it was very strange. If they do move their feet is he going to penalise? Seems like Ref. is asking for something he cannot justify or enforce, which is not a position I would like to put myself in! !

I think he meant "stop shuffling around"

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think he meant "stop shuffling around"

I find a loud call of "steady" or "hold it" works for this purpose at my level at least. I guess if there is forward foot movement before the ball comes in it suggests an early shove...

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"Shuffling around" indicates an unsettled scrum with the players reacting to changing forces. Telling them to stop moving their feet doesn't solve the instability problem.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
"Shuffling around" indicates an unsettled scrum with the players reacting to changing forces. Telling them to stop moving their feet doesn't solve the instability problem.

Eureka!