Failed Head Butt

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
that's essentially true (I think it's a bit trickier and more subtle than the way you expressed it) - but that's because it's the way the Law works - it's not because the RFU have decreed it to be so.
The defence is "volenti non fit injuria", which clearly applies to boxing, for example. However it has been rejected in a number of rugby injury cases because the cause of the injury was not deemed to be a normal part of playing rugby.

Danny Hearn broke his neck trying to tackle Ian Macrae, but everyone agreed it was just a very sad accident (the two are actually good friends these days). However in the cases of Ben Smoldon and Richard Vowles, the broken neck was deemed to be the referee's fault because he allowed unsafe scrummaging.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed
While noting that was a civil law matter, which is different again from the criminal law !

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
A Headbutt, FAiled or not is still a headbutt and therefore in my lawbook a breach of law 9 7 (A)

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
A Headbutt, FAiled or not is still a headbutt and therefore in my lawbook a breach of law 9 7 (A)

Richard, probably not 9 7, but may well be 9.11 reckless or dangerous to others and is definitely 9.26 against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Richard, probably not 9 7, but may well be 9.11 reckless or dangerous to others and is definitely 9.26 against the spirit of good sportsmanship.
ONly had a quick look at the lawbook before posting my reply, so accept that my quoting of law may well have been flawed :scot:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Joined late; Failed head butt = yellow card to calm down, stern warning -and again when they come back on. BUT ask yourself what provoked it.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Joined late; Failed head butt = yellow card to calm down, stern warning -and again when they come back on. BUT ask yourself what provoked it.
If you see what provokes the failed headbut then go deal with that. If you don't, then react to what you've seen

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Deal with both.

I think the point being made was if you did not see what caused the reaction you cannot penalize it, regardless what the players tell you about what went on. You can/should only referee what you see.