FAO: Australian Members

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am flying out to Australia on Friday. This is my itinerary:

- Perth: 1st June until 20th July.
- Brisbane on 20th July and will be making my way up the Queensland coast to Cairns by 30th July.
- Melbourne: 30th July until 2nd August (seeing an old friend).

I have been in contact with WA Referees and will hopefully - fingers crossed - be refereeing some matches while over there.

My current plan is to do the Perth Marathon on Sunday 15th June. I would appreciate anyone's support on the route!

I would like to meet up with some forum members if possible. I am

In addition, being a student if anyone is able to offer me a sofa/floor to sleep on for a night in Queensland on the above dates that would be amazing! I am yet to book anything formal so am pretty flexible where I am going to visit.

Any advice on what I should do in Queensland and Melbourne would be most appreciated.

Please PM me on here and I will provide you with my contact details!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
PS. I know you're all most likely to be asleep now, but if you let me know by midday BST tomorrow (7pm WA) then I may be able to order some Acme Thunderers to bring over as presents.

I'm offering as I'm led to believe they're expensive/hard to acquire over there?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Melbourne is great, unfortunately the weekend that we are here is the beginning of our finals series so I doubt you would be able to get a game however if you have time I would say going down to see one of the semi finals for our premier grade would be a good day out. Where are you going to be staying?

Things to do here on the touristy side are:
- Great Ocean Road
- MCG Tour
- Eureka Tower
- Phillip Island to see some penquins
- Healsville Sanctuary where you can pet some of our native animals

Thunderers are pretty difficult to get over here as the AFL umpires use them so we get these ones in the stores most of the time
15523207.jpg

Hope you have fun.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks! I'll try and get some 58.5 whistles delivered to me before I leave.

I'm not that bothered about refereeing once I've left WA, as I'm probably sending half my stuff back to the UK via sendmybag.com

How much are Asics rugby boots in the shops? I'm considering just buying a pair out there.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I'm not that bothered about refereeing once I've left WA, as I'm probably sending half my stuff back to the UK via sendmybag.com

How much are Asics rugby boots in the shops? I'm considering just buying a pair out there.

Get some polycarbonate ones too then you can hide them from the metal detector!

Don't be coming back inflecting your voice upwards at the end of sentences in that annoying way Australians are wont to do.

Have a safe trip and enjoy both the things Australia has to offer.

See you when you get back.:aus:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Decent pair are anywhere between $180 and $260.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

When you get to Qld you'll get Asics boots at good prices from Sporty's Shoes
http://www.sportyshoes.com.au/Footb...ter_manufacturerid=1&sort=&pronation_filter=1

I can buy a 58.5 Thunderer for $20 locally and a Polycarbonate 558 for less than the list price in England (about $6 Au + postage) so not sure why they are considered expensive here.

I'll ask a friend who referees in Brisbane what the chances are of getting you a game if he is back from OS reffing 7s

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can buy a 58.5 Thunderer for $20 locally and a Polycarbonate 558 for less than the list price in England (about $6 Au + postage) so not sure why they are considered expensive here.
Because they want to charge $15 for postage has been my experience.

Adam - if you bring out any polycarbonates ( and acme wrist lanyards) and can post them from WA, then I'd buy a couple off you. But dont go to any hassle, it's not that important. (I'm in Canberra so can't help with your travels unfortunately)

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
In addition, being a student if anyone is able to offer me a sofa/floor to sleep on for a night in Queensland on the above dates that would be amazing!

Of course you are a student! Who could afford to spend 8 weeks in Aus if they actually work for a living?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In addition, being a student if anyone is able to offer me a sofa/floor to sleep on for a night in Queensland

mate, you're talking Queensland. What's a sofa?

drunk-girl.jpg

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Because they want to charge $15 for postage has been my experience.

Adam - if you bring out any polycarbonates ( and acme wrist lanyards) and can post them from WA, then I'd buy a couple off you. But dont go to any hassle, it's not that important. (I'm in Canberra so can't help with your travels unfortunately)

I have bought 4x 58.5 metal Thunderers to bring over. Didn't get any lanyards or plastic Thunderers unfortunately.

Decent pair are anywhere between $180 and $260.

Hmm, so my plan was to bring some awful quality £20 boots as an emergency and just buy a pair of Asics over there. I looked at Rebel Sports and I think I saw a black pair for $119. I'll have a look later and work it out!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
When you get to Qld you'll get Asics boots at good prices from Sporty's Shoes
http://www.sportyshoes.com.au/Footb...ter_manufacturerid=1&sort=&pronation_filter=1

I'll ask a friend who referees in Brisbane what the chances are of getting you a game if he is back from OS reffing 7s

That sounds great thank you. I'm currently due to land in Brisbane on Sunday 20th July I'm the evening and would probably only be staying around the city for a couple of days.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I heard she's both. Victoria is pretty close to Tasmania...

Watch it....

Reminds me of a joke though:
Cazza from Ouse was super excited when he came home one night and told his dad that he had met a girl at the blue light that night in Hamilton.
"She's awesome dad, ripper legs, great t*ts, smart, and best of all - she's a Virgin!"
At this his dad stood up, strode across the room and kicked his son in the balls - "If she's not good enough for her own family, she's not good enough for us!"

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
That sounds great thank you. I'm currently due to land in Brisbane on Sunday 20th July I'm the evening and would probably only be staying around the city for a couple of days.

By late July nearly all sport shops will be heavily discounting their footy boots as most competitions will only have a month or two to run