Fear and loathing in Dunedin

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Augustin, no, more the 'clearing out' shoving matches where everyone is on their feet pushing one another while the ball is on the deck.

Worst name belongs to the OBU Therapists. Break it down into two words and youll figure out whiy I refuse to ref or TJ for them.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Augustin, no, more the 'clearing out' shoving matches where everyone is on their feet pushing one another while the ball is on the deck.
I must be missing something - it sounds like a textbook ruck. Did you get a picture of it? :D Isn't that what we are told to aim for? Ie everyone on their feet and pushing over the ball on the ground etc.

This week I have the joy :rolleyes: of Under 15s ...I refereed their trials, and they weren't bad lads.
Your U15s must be different to ours; I haven't had a bad U15 game yet. In fairness, they've all been an absolute joy.

Some of their questions can be a bit errr .... "odd" mind. The best one was "Do you ride a motorbike?" :D

Last edited:

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Yep, we should aim for everyone on their feet - Except someone needs to actually play the ball. These guys would all be standing over the ball, pushing and shoving, while the ball just sat there, occasionally being kicked. Either team could have picked it up, but they were too busy pushing and shoving.

You've not had the experience of chatting to a 6'0", 95kg fourteen year old then? Truthfully, while I've had a couple of nasty games with nasty teams, U15's are generally pretty good.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Surely the ideal ruck is one where the players are on their feet driving against one another, and the ball on the floor.... otherwise its not a ruck.

The object being to drive over the ball which then emerges from the ruck as the back feet of one side pass over it and the 9 gets it away...

While the ball is in the ruck it may only be played by feet, and just hoofing it back gives poor control - these actually sound like good rucks...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect it is a matter of emphasis. If they are more interested in shoving each other around than getting the ball out, you have potential flashpoints.

Davet

Post Likes
Sure, but while the ball is in the ruck then players are not allowed to "pick it up" - if they do PK against, handling in the ruck.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
From Chickref's description I get an impression of players standing upright in close proximity to each other using their arms to shove individual opponents away from the vicinity of the ball. Not true rucking.

Is that what you mean Chickref?

If so, penalize them for not binding. They should bind to both team-mates and opposition (if they are in the front of the ruck).

niall murphy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Also you could think about calling it unplayable, scrum to team going forward. After a few of these they get the message and start to play the game.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
What about Cougars?

My personal favourites are all the University of Connecticut sports teams, who go by the name of the UConn Huskies.

Dreadful pun, I know, but these things just appeal to me.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
From Chickref's description I get an impression of players standing upright in close proximity to each other using their arms to shove individual opponents away from the vicinity of the ball. Not true rucking.

Is that what you mean Chickref?

If so, penalize them for not binding. They should bind to both team-mates and opposition (if they are in the front of the ruck).

I wouldn't PK this. It's just worth using the unplayable option here before going to penalties.

Davet

Post Likes
not to have a tussle on the left side of a ruck, while the ball sits out of the ruck (because no one is bound over it) on the right side.

Then call "That's out! - Play on!"

PS - I would advise against the call "Ball's out!" to any adolescent team if you don't to give them a cheap laugh.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Large shout of "Play On" with Arms in a Y shape in air seems to be the understood signal for this nowadays.

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Mostly I yelled "That's out!" and "play on!" when the side that had been in possession suddenly lost it. Note: No seagull arms! Still had to call unplayable three times when neither team seemed interested in the ball.

Uptake - They were slow on it.

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I was told to steer clear of signalling with 'seagull arms' and that talk is all that is necessary. It was suggested that 'seagull arms' do not benefit anyone on the park as players will be listening for 'play on' etc rather than looking for signals...

I do realise that we signal advantage etc (after talk) and this benefits those on the side lines, however that is a prescribed signal.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I feel I should mention that the "play on" wave is an official signal in RL, and will leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide whether this makes it more or less desirable...