Fifty Point Differential

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
well, it did in the OP :)

didds

I always liked attacking up the slope, defenders would come charging down it, once my fancy footwork had beaten them they struggled to turn and chase uphill ! Passing into the wind was easier than passing with it, but those were the days when attacklines had depth and tackle line paranoia hadnt been invented !

FWIW conditions rarely make a 50 pt margin IMO.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you should always take the wind, as it might not be there in the second half.

when ever I was playing we always took the slope.
get ahead, that was our motto
I never played for a team with the moral fibre to come back from a long way behind :)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
essex regs used to be that it was offered to the losing side when it got to 50 points. if they declined the game continued with the score as it was, but that the final result for league placings could never be more than a 50 point margin.

so a team could be 55-0 up and half time, and only win 55-54 or thereabouts.

seems entirely sensible to me, which is rare for essex :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
essex regs used to be that it was offered to the losing side when it got to 50 points. if they declined the game continued with the score as it was, but that the final result for league placings could never be more than a 50 point margin.

so a team could be 55-0 up and half time, and only win 55-54 or thereabouts.

seems entirely sensible to me, which is rare for essex :biggrin:

It's a better rule for dealing with the weather/pitch advantages for sure.

However if i witness the spirit sapped out of a u13 team who are behind 55-0 before halftime, and the lambasting losing coach demanding 'grow some balls' or suchlike from these kids, then we arent playing on irrespective of his chest pumping bravado. Fortunately such coaches are very rare, unless you live in north Yorkshire where they're apparently all likely to be like this !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
However if i witness the spirit sapped out of a u13 team who are behind 55-0 before halftime, and the lambasting losing coach demanding 'grow some balls' or suchlike from these kids, then we arent playing on irrespective of his chest pumping bravado. Fortunately such coaches are very rare, unless you live in north Yorkshire where they're apparently all likely to be like this !

in my experience at U13 the coach from the winning team almost invariably acted very sensibly, and would immediately bring on all the subs, take off that big guy who scored three tries already, and perhaps try out some new positions. The losing team can normally then get a consolation try. It works well.

I can only one exception, where they didn't let up at all. the game lasted another 3 minutes, they scored again and the losing coach took his team off. Pointless.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
in my experience at U13 the coach from the winning team almost invariably acted very sensibly, and would immediately bring on all the subs, take off that big guy who scored three tries already, and perhaps try out some new positions. The losing team can normally then get a consolation try. It works well.

I can only one exception, where they didn't let up at all. the game lasted another 3 minutes, they scored again and the losing coach took his team off. Pointless.

I was speaking from the position of being the winning coach, ....even if the rules conveyed the decision to the losing coach & him alone, I'd pull the rug 'after we'd officially won' . I have had to intervene regarding opposition coach berating his own players at u12s " coach, they're just being outplayed - if you don't stop berating them so aggressively then we're wrapping the game up", he didn't like it, but it was private self worth moment noddingly approved by our parents and some of his!

He doesn't coach them anymore I believe.