First game for a while - what's changed?

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Right, not had a game for about 10 months, due to injuries and new jobs/moving etc etc...

First game is a friendly between Old Isleworthians and Kilburn - first question - anything I need to know about these teams?

Second question - have there been any law changes while I've been away? I'm normally up on these things, but other real life events have taken over in the past few weeks...

Thanks!

Chris

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Nothing in the last 10 months. CTPE was the last change.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The only tyhing that will have changed is your fitness.:swet: Good luck with the game - nice to see you back in harness and on the forums.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Kilburn used to be a good friendly side, probably still are.

Make sure your mental prep is good and you'll be fine - since you've had all that time to keep your fitness levels up using swimming, cycling etc:)

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I used to train with Kilburn - good bunch of lads. Let us know how it goes.

Rew15

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had Kilburn earlier this season. Mostly southern hemisphere lads. Great bunch, very friendly. Should have no problems there.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, how did it go?

About as well as expected... Both sides behaved impeccably, and that was what saved me. I was very, very rusty. Positioning was poor, getting around the pitch was worse. There's no substitute for being out there doing it. In the gym, I'm certainly fitter now than when I was last refereeing, but it's very difficult to replicate what's required on the pitch in a gym.

Ankle (which took me out end of last season) held up well, but the ground was lovely and soft underfoot. I also broke and bought a pair of lightweight football boots, rather than my old front row clod hoppers, which certainly made quite a difference.

The match was a comprehensive win for OIs, 48 - 5. We had a late kick off as Kilburn still only had 10 5 minutes before the supposed kick off time, so we started at 2:10pm 14 vs 15, and had to have uncontested scrums. Kilburn couldn't field a trained front row - too many Aussies in the Kilburn side, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I even had an assessor! Kinda forgot what one of those looked like, been best part of 2 years since I've seen one. I'd have preferred to die in obscurity after this match, but he was very understanding and positive. Just have to see how badly I get savaged in the report; god knows I'd deserve it... Definitely not a level 10 referee at the moment.

Still, hasn't made me not want to get back out there, and it can only go up from here. Onto the next one!

Chris

P.S. From being used to driving sometimes 1hr+ to get to a match, to claim £2.40 @ 30p/mile in expenses did make me laugh rather. Still, it bought me a pint in my local when I got home...