First Lions test

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Couple odd decisions so far?
  • First penatly given ~1m in from touch rather than 5m (Edit: actually looking at the laws, I think I'm wrong on this)
  • Anyone feel the TMO was trying to say held up at the first referrral?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Couple odd decisions so far?
  • First penatly given ~1m in from touch rather than 5m (Edit: actually looking at the laws, I think I'm wrong on this)
  • Anyone feel the TMO was trying to say held up at the first referrral?

• Penalty is at the place of infringement unless stated otherwise. Its not stated otherwise that I know of.
  • Not sure what the TMO was on about. Red took it into ingoal, green made it dead (at least I think he did as you didn't see on the slowmo where the ball went) so it's a 22 drop. TMO couldn't seem to explain to the ref why he was reccomending a 5m attacking scrum? The only reason would have been if the TMO thought it was held up, but why didn't he just say "Held Up"?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
he said (in average English) "it wasn't touched in goal" by which I think he meant "it wasn't grounded in goal". Poor old Bryce hadn't a clue what he was on about.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if Bryec Lawrence is any role model, looks like the zipper position at lineouts is de riguer these days

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Yeah, I screwed up on the first point. But now I know! :)
Sounded like language issues with the TMO... I'm not sure which is worse, to assume he forgot how to say held up or to assume he got the laws wrong and recommended an attacking scrum for the wrong reasons :(

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
he said (in average English) "it wasn't touched in goal" by which I think he meant "it wasn't grounded in goal". Poor old Bryce hadn't a clue what he was on about.

Refs first questions was "was it in touch".

I assumed by saying it wasn't in touch or touch in goal?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What's going on with the scrums. He is pinging red 3 for not binding (I think), but in the half time replays of the scrums it looks like green 1 is boring in every time?

If so, which gets pinged first...binding I suppose?
Or could the boring be causing him not to be able to bind?

Whatever; the scrums are a mess.
How many resets did we have in the first scrum?
How many scrum collapses before he did anything about it?
Did it just take him that long to decide who was to blame?

Wonder what they were asking him as they walked off at half time?

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Loved the "Scrum advantage red... oops, sorry I didn't see the breakaway, scrum red... penalty green" :wait:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not a bad days work.

Wallabies up, Boks up. Only downside is AB's winning.

Time for bed.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
As predicted de bokke won. One down, two to go:D

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I did have a short sharp discussion with the TV about TMOs and Refs speaking different languages and not being able to communicate properly.

What seemed to be clear to me was that the TMO was saying that it was not touched down in goal - which is clearly why he recommended the 5m attacking scrum; and which was in accordance with the replay.

Bryce was unable to understand - maybe not his fault - one for the iRB to mull over.

Beast was driving in and down almost every time, which ripped Vickery's bind away, and got him pinged every time - but the initial offence was Green 1 not driving straight.

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How many penalties was it going to take for him to reach for his yellow card??!!

TMO, I think, was a language issue.

Tackler isolating the tackled player was happening slightly too often for my liking.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I did have a short sharp discussion with the TV about TMOs and Refs speaking different languages and not being able to communicate properly.
Yes. A matter of some concern. If they want to use Berdos for his expertise, they MUST get in an interpreter. His English is bad.

What seemed to be clear to me was that the TMO was saying that it was not touched down in goal - which is clearly why he recommended the 5m attacking scrum; and which was in accordance with the replay.
I think his first comment was something like "it was NOT touch-in-goal" (can't check - wife has grabbed back the TV).

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crap, well the Lions performance, the commentary was "what a test" etc etc.

Err nope, what about.... SA rugby lesson for 65mins then the Lions decided to pull their fingers out and work hard. That was more accurate.

Boks were shocking in the scrum, boring in most of the time, or driving up on the others.

First try was a PT for me, the green player stripped the ball when off his feet???

Jones poor, simply cant afford to miss the kicks at this level, if you opt for a shot at goal you should kick them.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
First try was a PT for me, the green player stripped the ball when off his feet???

But the play was in goal - so tackle maul and ruck laws don't apply. - and we scored it anyway - we would not have scored in a more advantageous position... so not an issue.

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
thank goodnes for that - reading the comments above seems like my thoughts weren't too jingoistic after all:

the beast aka the cheat boring in all the time - this needs to be looked at as it seems to be a SA tactic throughout the tour and ruined the scrum to the Lions disadvantage
Yep i would have gone for PT on the first referral definately taken in the air and if not then it had to be held up - crap communication between ref and TMO
ref seemed to have fogotten his yellow cards for constant infringement (the only blessing been he could have sin binned Vickery for nothing at all)
The Lions need to trust their backs and the open side more

i'm not one for arguing with the ref, but i do wish PO;'C had tried to get some clarity from the ref on some of his decisions; Vickery did but was told that it would have to wit to half time - yes there was onlya minute to HT, but i think the ref did himslef a dis-service by not taking time to explain his view

I think the best summary came from my 16 year old prop son "why can't we have the same rules interpreted in the same way in all games" - whether this is bringing the ruck down or hands in the ruck lets get world wide consistency please!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

That crossed my mind, playing the ball on the floor.

As for the scrums (poss bit rose tinted glassess) but did think Saffers were boring in on the scrums, there was was angle that clearly showed prop and lock side stepping and driving in to middle. At that level thugh Vickery should have done something about it!

Backs looked good though, not sure they will get that much room next week and if they do a number on us up front it could be a big loss!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

De Villiers stripped the ball in the act of tackling, having 'held up' the ball first. Then this strip took the ball touch-in-goal, which is what Berdos was trying to say. I saw no offence.

How silly to have a TMO who can't speak fluent English when Team of 3 are all native English speakers !

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon, I have just had a look back and yep you are correct, he was the tackler good point.