[Law] First Match

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hope he had a better game than the obvious newbie reffing at the Vets tournament I was at in France, what a day to forget, felt sorry for the the lad, nothing worse than a bunch of frustrated old timers on the beer, especially when you don’t speak the same language as half the teams :confused:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Apologies for keeping you in suspense. Just been catching up with work back log from the weekend.

I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go. There was 2 incidents that I wasn't too sure about.

1. Restart kick (after try). Was kicked in goal and touched down by the defence. I awarded a scrum to the receiving team, upon reflection I believe I should offered Scrum or Kick again option.
2. Ball was knocked on and bounced into touch, I awarded a scrum. I'm unsure if options are only offer if the knock on goes into touch on the full (without bouncing etc) or if it doesn't matter and I should always offer options when a knock on goes into touch.

Other than that, I think it was a fairly decent first match.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go.

This is not necessarily a bad thing

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
How about the scenario 2 - does the ball bouncing before going into touch have an impact on the offer. Is it a straight Scrum or should I have offered Scrum/Line Out options?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How about the scenario 2 - does the ball bouncing before going into touch have an impact on the offer. Is it a straight Scrum or should I have offered Scrum/Line Out options?

Options !

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apologies for keeping you in suspense. Just been catching up with work back log from the weekend.

I think it went alright. Hardest thing was keeping up with play, being rotund and slow lol. I made a few mistakes and let the game flow a bit more than I've seen other refs do. Things like coming off feet in a ruck, as long as the player wasn't impeding the ball coming out I let it go. There was 2 incidents that I wasn't too sure about.

1. Restart kick (after try). Was kicked in goal and touched down by the defence. I awarded a scrum to the receiving team, upon reflection I believe I should offered Scrum or Kick again option.
2. Ball was knocked on and bounced into touch, I awarded a scrum. I'm unsure if options are only offer if the knock on goes into touch on the full (without bouncing etc) or if it doesn't matter and I should always offer options when a knock on goes into touch.

Other than that, I think it was a fairly decent first match.

If the only ‘mistakes’ were over options then I’d take that, half the time they don’t know there’s an option and just wait to be told what do do! Confident decisions and crack on, did you enjoy it though?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

The Lineout option Law (18.8f) wording is: "Following the ball going into touch from a knock-on or throw forward".

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... There ... incident that I wasn't too sure about.
Be careful here because this one can easily catch you out.

If the ball is kicked in-goal and grounded "without delay" you offer the grounding team the option of Kick Again or scrum on the centre line.

If there is any delay (eg prancing about and goading the opposition to trot to in-goal before grounding it) they get a 22m Drop Out only ie if they want the Kick Again / Scrum option they have to act "without delay" ... which makes perfect sense.

NB: "Without Delay" is a bit longer than "immediately" and you will recognise it when you see it. If you start thinking to yourself "Ground it man" he's probably lost his options. :biggrin:

... There .. incidents that I wasn't too sure about.
It doesn't matter if the ball was knocked on and rolled into touch or went directly to touch from the knock on; the non-offending side should have had the option of a scrum or LO.

I have £5 though that says the vast majority didn't even realise they had an option. :biggrin:

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Did you have a mentor/assessor? If so, what did he think?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now you have done it, I will confide that I think that's a tough first game. It can be very tricky indeed to get the tone right at those games . On the one hand everyone thinks it's a bit of fun, but on the other hand its a rugby game and tempers can be lost

Well done ! I think you will find regular games more straightforward to handle

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Now you have done it, I will confide that I think that's a tough first game. It can be very tricky indeed to get the tone right at those games . On the one hand everyone thinks it's a bit of fun, but on the other hand its a rugby game and tempers can be lost

Well done ! I think you will find regular games more straightforward to handle

As someone who manages and plays in a Vets squad you’re not wrong, braver man than me!

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
@ OB - I didn't have an assessor/mentor with me. I wanted to get a feel first myself. I usually have a feeling if I've done well myself. I contacted the Club after wards and the feedback from them was good. I think I need to get into better positions, faster at breakdowns. Also be more aware for the defending player (who was on his feet but who has went to ground to the side), and what he's doing with his hands.

I just let them play rugby, there were a few things that I could've blown up for sooner but was quite happy for them to figure it out for themselves. There was a couple of hands in the ruck (from defending team) for example that didn't involve a big delay in the ball coming out.