Fo9otball referee asks Goalie to take over

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Former Premier League referee asks goalkeeper if he wants to take over :smile:

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Refe...s-youth-team/story-20302587-detail/story.html
FORMER Premier League referee Stuart Attwell is used to being barracked by top flight players over his decisions.

But he was less than impressed when he got it in the neck from Atherstone Town's youth team goalkeeper Tom Leeson.

Nuneaton-based Attwell was in charge of the Adders' 1-1 draw with Nuneaton Town last Thursday night when he made the unusual, if effective, move of offering the teenager the chance to take over the whistle when he had a little too much to say.

An onlooker at the game said: "It was a brilliant way to handle it. The keeper was quiet as a mouse for the rest of the game...."

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Got to be careful doing that. I recall watching a game, with a group who were "helping" the ref. The Ref made the offer to the group if someone there wanted to do the job. I said yes, and stepped forward to take the whistle. He was sheepish and had to backtrack. Looked an idiot, and just meant he got more "help" for the rest of the game, and from the players, and his authority had gone completely. (This was before I had taken a course!)

After I became a ref - I asked him about it. He said he had never offered before, and never has since, and it was a huge failure. He didn't remember it was me....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's like a lot things - don't make a threat you aren't prepared to carry out

having got to that stage he should have gone through with it and abandoned the game.
He could have then offered to sell you his whistle!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"If you want to ref, come see me after the game and we'll get you into a course. Until then, shut up and play."

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've often used the "if you think you can do better feel free to join the society" line always with a smile and a shake of the head just to wind the kn*bhead up.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you think you can do better, go on a course, buy a whistle, and find your own fooking game, because this one's mine!