France v England

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Advantage over! ..... surely PK in front of posts is better 30s before HalfTime ?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referee aside, what an interesting game of football. Can't remember the last time I saw this much attacking room and willingness to exploit it. I'll probably watch more this year if it's going to be like this.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How did we not win that..... How many times inside their 22 without points ? Forwards were brilliant.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Big ups to Brian Moore also for being able to quote Coriolanus accurately under pressure.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why did we make pointless substitutions?

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Was I drunk or Mr Szwk(and some other consonants I'm not able to reproduce) did play as a third center A LOT?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Big ups to Brian Moore also for being able to quote Coriolanus accurately under pressure.
Nice one BCM
Alone I did it! Boy! Coriolanus, scene vi
A "Shake" in time is worth it's weight in gold.
Was I drunk or Mr Szwk(and some other consonants I'm not able to reproduce) did play as a third center A LOT?
Hi Mr. Qeu, Try cut 'n paste ; Dimitri Szarzewski.
It's called polyvalence in french, skilfulness/versatility in English, pretty good for a Hooker.

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good game, I really enjoyed 78 minutes of it!

Thought NO was good as usual.

Couple of calls that felt wrong - but both we're against England so I accept only one eye was working!

1. PK awarded on French 22 England maintain the ball make c10 but never look like scoring advantage over?

2. Danny care's 'try' NO asks try yes or no. I thought DC grounds it on the line. TMO says nothing clear and obvious no try.

Is that the right 'benefit of doubt' and separately did you think DC scored?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thought that DC was short on the replay. Oh the benefit of a TMO as I'd have given that all day long otherwise.

NO is top notch and BCM is top drawer.

Biropen

Post Likes
Advantage over! ..... surely PK in front of posts is better 30s before HalfTime ?

Can someone explain this to me? The only advantage that can come following this penalty call is a try, or better still a converted try.

I would hope that Nigel Owen would be having a rather uncomfortable discussion with the Match Observer trying to justify this decision.

Let me put it another way, if a lesser mortal made that decision in a match where I was watching him, there would have been no discussion.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Biropen,

NO had a cracking game, in my opinion.
[laws]8.1 Advantage in practice
(a) The referee is sole judge of whether or not a team has gained an advantage.
The referee has wide discretion when making decisions.
(b) Advantage can be either territorial or tactical.
(c) Territorial advantage means a gain in ground.
(d) Tactical advantage means freedom for the non-offending team to play the ball as they wish.[/laws]
It's not Nigel Owen's fault that the English players failed to capitalise on the advantage they'd gained. Coming back for the penalty after they squandered their advantage is giving them two bites at the cherry, surely?

Six Nations Rugby Ltd's website has video clips available. Perhaps if you could link the particualr incident, RRF members could dissect it for you. Somewhere between 39 minutes of play, when the English had worked the ball up inside the French 22, and the dying seconds of the first half, when Owen Farrell was wide with an attempted drop-goal and ; as the ball sails out of play, referee Nigel Owens tooted his whistle to end an intriguing half.

Last edited: