French XV v NZ - Reversal of Penalty

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Firstly I think that the ref, Luke Pearce of England put in a more than competent performance and looked like he has the goods to rise through the referring ranks.

However there was an incident in the game where he reversed the penalty which I would question.

NZ were on attack and one of the NZ forwards obstructed a defender [typical ball being played behind the front line] from getting to the attacker and in the same movement a NZ attacker was tackled dangerously [head high] and LP signaled advantage NZ for that tackle and allowed play to run out before returning to give the PK – he clearly didn’t see the obstruction.

While the PK was being lined up the movement was played on the big screen [a few times it must be said] and the crowd started whistling etc. and as the kick was about to be taken LP called a halt and asked to see the movement on the big screen.

Having seen the replay he then chose to reverse the penalty “I had advantage for NZ, NZ obstructed, both were foul play, penalty reversed”

Without a replay online I haven’t been able to check the order of the actions – was the obstruction before the high tackle or after? – but my thought at the time was that the obstruction occurred before the tackle.

This raises the questions:

a) If the order was obstruction, then tackle should the PK have been reversed
b) Is obstruction really foul play, particularly when the team obstructing is hot on attack
c) If not foul play should the PK have been reversed
d) If foul play and the order was tackle, then obstruction does an obstruction override the offence of dangerous tackle

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IMO, he got that wrong.

Dangerous Play (punching. striking, dangerous tackling etc) should always trump technically Foul Play (obstruction, intentional knock on etc). If Blue 12 intentionally knocks the ball on, then Gold 10 punches Blue 12 - then the PK goes against Gold 10 for the punch..... always!

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
This raises the questions:

a) If the order was obstruction, then tackle should the PK have been reversed
b) Is obstruction really foul play, particularly when the team obstructing is hot on attack
c) If not foul play should the PK have been reversed
d) If foul play and the order was tackle, then obstruction does an obstruction override the offence of dangerous tackle

a) The order was obstruction then high tackle. It was the obstructed player who ran sideways and made the high tackle - in fact, he'd almost certainly have been unable to do so if he'd not been obstructed!
b) It certainly is - it's the first section of law 10 - Foul Play. I have no idea why it should be more permissible for a team that is hot on attack?
c) No, but it was foul play.
d) No, by similar-level offences you go back to the first.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule (of course)

- for two PK offences I'd normally penalise the more serious violent one - so I'd penalise the head butt rather than the shove.
- but having said that, in rugby we are guided to penalise the retaliation rather than the original offence, even when they are roughly equivalent

In this case I haven't seen the video, but for obstruction followed by high tackle, on the face of it PK the tackle BUT there are high tackles and high tackles, some high tackles are actually innocuous, and we PK them because of the guidance and the slippery slope argument. If it was one of those then the obstruction came first, so PK that.

Luke Pearce -- he's a well known young ref in England where he has reffed lots of Premiership games, it's good to see him getting international experience, who knows how far he can go, but he's definitely still on the way up :)

Last edited: