From the Boonies

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Boy, am I glad to find this place.

I had been involved in rugby from the early '70s untill '02. I played (local selects and club), reffed (B2 panel) and coached (highest level was territorial developmental side). At times doing all 3 at once (seasonally). On the rare occasion I might have been guilty of doing all 3 in the same game. :D

Some 7 years ago, due to my mother's health, I had to pack my bags and leave a hotbed of USA rugby (Denver, Co) and move to a location that made being involved with the game quite difficult.

I lost all contact with the game for some 5 years. Then I found the Setanta channel and subscribed in time to see that last World Cup.

I was shocked that I hardly recognised the game that I was watching. Yes it was rugby but so much appeared different. What was being tolerated at breakdowns was, to me, unforgivable. The apparent total lack scrummaging skills in set pieces, unbelievable. etc. etc.

I see so many infractions (to me) being ignored at the Cup and International levels that I have become quite confused. The purchase of a 2008 law book provided little help. I was so sure that some basic definitions (such as what "on one's feet" means) that I was surprised that they had NOT been changed.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Being new to this forum, I'd like some directions.

I have a LOT of questions. Should I just list them out HERE or should I go to other areas of this site and post them individually?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Welcome to RRs.

One by one in the right section will ensure (well may ensure!) that they addressed. We do have a slight tendancy to go off topic, so if you lump them all together they might not get answered.

Look forward to your questions (and input)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Rit - a big welcome to the forums. We have a fair few American contributors, so you'll even be able to talk about continental practices and variations. Somewhere on here, you'll even find the current US Game Management Protocols.

I agree with Lizban - the thing to do is list individual questions individually - ideally in the specific forum location (lineout, scrum, tackle, ruck etc) rather than taking the la-z-boy approach of chucking them all in the General Union Questions forum.

You'll find the 2010 iRB law book here (you BOUGHT a 2008 version?!)

Another useful and informative site is that run by South Africa's refereeing department - with input by real, live international referees.

We all look forward to getting our teeth into your questions. One general point though - if you comment that TV rugby bears no relation to either the laws of the game or the real thing - you are pushing against an open door. Don't expect a debate on that point!:biggrin:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
welcome to another yank! just so you know we get picked on here...kidding...enjoy yourself and welcome back to the game. there's no more B's btw...either local, territorial or national associated with a number starting this season. things are changing...

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
welcome to another yank! just so you know we get picked on here...kidding...enjoy yourself and welcome back to the game. there's no more B's btw...either local, territorial or national associated with a number starting this season. things are changing...

Hey, I can accept being called a YANK by a "funny talker" due to "ignorance" but, I consider that an INSULT.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
You'll find the 2010 iRB law book here (you BOUGHT a 2008 version?!)

Another useful and informative site is that run by South Africa's refereeing department - with input by real, live international referees.

biggrin:

New travels slow in this part of the country. 2008 was the most current book that I could find. As it was 2009 at the time of purchase I considered it a good purchase as it covered the time of my return and so should have included the confusing law changes over the time of my absence.

I may look at the SA site but as I consider the SANZAR unions responsible for most of the IMHO bad rule changes in recent times I will take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

That ain't all Yanks, it's just you :)

Just for, y'know, clarification.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Rit,

If you are in CO then go to USA rugby headquarters and pick up a new 2010 law book, they must have some knocking around there.

As for not recognising the game, well we let the horse bolt a while back and now we are being told to get it back into the stable whilst keeping the horse and the rider happy:confused:

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
If I was still in the Denver area I would not have lost all contact with the game for some 5 years. Denver is a bit of a hotbed for USA rugby. Next year high-school girls rugby is slated to be scholasticized there. That, most probably, will be the first time the game has achieved such status in the USA, ever.

I know of instances where fathers who played HS rugby in Colorado have played in games with their sons who played HS rugby in Colorado. We started that work long before most other USA unions.

Unfortunately, I now live in the mountains of North Carolina. There are a few clubs within easy driving distance but they rarely update their websites to keep a current schedule up for me to find games/events to attend. I have managed to drive 3 hours to Charlotte (a Super League club) to catch a couple games on two occasions. I have also been down to Charleston, SC on two occasions to attend Eagles games.

My problem isn't that the Laws have changed. It's the implimentation of said Laws that seems to have changed.

I remember, while watching the last World Cup, seeng a player fall on a loose ball. He lay there, forearms on the ground, bridged up over the ball. Clearly, to ME, not on his feet. The opposition backed off as if there was some kind of ruck, maul, offside line created by this player who could not, by ME, be considered doing anything but laying on the ball. This is certainly a matter of interpretation or a directive asto how it should be called.

I remember there being print of several colors in lawbooks I used while I was active. The book I have has no BLUE or GREEN print. I may be having a senior moment here but I seem to remember BLUE print being directives to refs on how to enforce/interpritate(sp) the Laws and that there was also green print. This book only has Black (the law) and Red (the call).

While regestering for this forum, I was informed I would recieve an email to finish registration and be allowed to post my questions. I have yet to recieve said email and so I must wait to post my questions.

I seem to have lost the locations of some of the subforums. Before I regestered I saw forums for Scrummage, Lineout and Ruck/Maul discussions. I don't seem to be able to find them any more.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I seem to have lost the locations of some of the subforums. Before I regestered I saw forums for Scrummage, Lineout and Ruck/Maul discussions. I don't seem to be able to find them any more.
Strange - they should be here, just below the randomly generate Law of the Moment.

Don't take my earlier strictures on housekeeping too seriously. If you can't access the registration threads and have an issue to get off your chest, post it in the No Registration Required section like this one. The Admins will sort you out eventually.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My copy of the 2008 law book does have coloured sections to indicate changes.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Rit - PM me. I'm the Appts guy for Virginia, and on good terms with the South.

Between us we should be able to get you covered.

Where in NC exactly? Raleigh-accessible?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you can't access the registration threads and have an issue to get off your chest, post it in the No Registration Required section like this one. The Admins will sort you out eventually.
Agreed, but please raise each topic in a separate thread.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Rit - PM me. I'm the Appts guy for Virginia, and on good terms with the South.

Between us we should be able to get you covered.

Where in NC exactly? Raleigh-accessible?

Nah, he'll probably want to use his car and not ride his bike:)

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Now, THAT kind of Chopper I like :)

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Strange - they should be here, just below the randomly generate Law of the Moment.

Don't take my earlier strictures on housekeeping too seriously. If you can't access the registration threads and have an issue to get off your chest, post it in the No Registration Required section like this one. The Admins will sort you out eventually.

Odd.

Your link worked fine. For a while there I was getting nothing below the Rugby Union Prediction Forum except the lists below the "What's Going On?" header. It must've been something to do with my bookmark as when I saved the one you linked to I dind not recieve an "Already Exists" notice.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've tweaked your profile slightly to get you referee access

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
the carolinas....that explains the dislike for a certain term...let me try again:

"hey rit! who's yer driver?"