Georgia v Ireland - stomp

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I am with you Dickie - too difficult to tell if it is deliberate, careless yes

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Looks to me like a case where the Horwill defence can be applied.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unfortunate but accidental IMO.

Accidentally standing on the face of an opponent is still careless and still ought to draw a PK

Looks to me like a case where the Horwill defence can be applied.

Not quite. Horwill always had in his favour that fact that it is unlikely he could have seen where his feet were. Also, play was still in progress, and the player who was stood on was on the ground in the bottom of a ruck/maul thingy

But in this instance the assemblage of players was very "open" and Kolelishvili could clearly see where he was stepping. In any case, JPD had already blown his whistle so Kolelishvili had no business even trying to step over the Irish player.

I expect Kolelishvili to be cited today.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Link will not run for me.

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought this was more than careless and falls into the reclass category with potentially very serious consequences. If the ref had picked it up I would of expected a PK at least.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ireland's captain asked the ref to review it "Sir, I have a very serious question". "I can't get into that" was the answer. I thought refs could ask for TMO whenever they wanted...

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Ireland's captain asked the ref to review it "Sir, I have a very serious question". "I can't get into that" was the answer. I thought refs could ask for TMO whenever they wanted...

I can't get the incident in question easily streamed either (as per Pegleg).

What makes you think that elite refs can ask the TMO for an opinion whenever a captain asks "a very serious question"? I am fairly sure that is not TMO protocol.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Its a nothing incident for me, hes stepping over the players on the ground to "man up" to Diack, he doesnt see the Irish player on the ground and accidentally steps on him.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can't get the incident in question easily streamed either (as per Pegleg).

What makes you think that elite refs can ask the TMO for an opinion whenever a captain asks "a very serious question"? I am fairly sure that is not TMO protocol.

It's been done in the past. I do recall in the HCup some weeks ago Dusuatoir telling Wayne Barnes that he was held by the jersey after a scrum. WB got the TMO to review and disallowed Montpellier's try. I think he was wrong on doing that as it was a scrum 50 meters away and the held by jersey action was neglible to the try being scored IMHO.

Anyway, here we have a player on the ground being treated in the head area and time stopped after some messy breakdown (I think a PK had been called and a bollock issued). Ref says he can't watch into it 'cos, well, he can't.

I'd say a middle ground can be achieved between those two positions.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I wouldn't be surprised if due to the WB review of something he was asked by a player, that refs have been "reminded" to only refer what they see/want to refer, not what a captain wants.

So JPD is effectively saying - you can think what you like, but as I saw nothing, and my ARs saw nothing, and the TMO hasn't called something in, I'm not going to the TMO - there are no "Captains Challenges". And I think he was right to do so.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought this was more than careless and falls into the reclass category with potentially very serious consequences. If the ref had picked it up I would of expected a PK at least.

What's the PK for????

If he's seen it, it can't be just a PK

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's the PK for????

If he's seen it, it can't be just a PK

The PK is for making contact with somone's face / eye area with ones boot in a careless / reckless manner.

Personally I think I woulld have gone yellow card if I had seen it in a game I was reffing, but to suggest it is not an incident to be concerned with as others seem to be is, IMHO, not correct.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I agree, that's what I'm saying he couldn't just give a PK, if he's seen that it's got to be a RC, think back to Murray (think it was) in the 6N game v Wales.

If he's seen that it's got to be RC

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Cant get any of the video links to work.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks like Kolelishvili has escaped any punishment. The 48 time has expired and not citing has been forthcoming, at least, not that I can find.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I agree, that's what I'm saying he couldn't just give a PK, if he's seen that it's got to be a RC, think back to Murray (think it was) in the 6N game v Wales.

If he's seen that it's got to be RC

+1,

YCing would be a cop out IMHO.