[CLUB RUGBY] Gloucester v Exeter

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First in-the-air take out of the new Prem season.
All agreed? Or any comments?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thought that Matthew had a good game. Not sure that Sean Davey's communications were the best, but what a cracking start to the season.

Yes, I thought that the YC was the correct call.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought that under current directives it was the correct decision. If I were to be contrarian for a change, I'd argue that the jumper's thigh was in direct contact with the player on the ground's head. At what point does that constitute dangerous play?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
An interesting point Simon - thank you.

I presume the potential controversy about the try is how long must have the player on the floor held onto the ball before grounding it ie not "immediate" ?

Ah - just listened to the commentary (I had souind off). "Double Movement"? Like I suggested then?

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the law is wrong, he was in a position to challenge for the ball (in that he would of caught it), nothing says he has to jump. The player who jumps put himself there, he has to think about his consequences. However I am in the minority.

The person who puts himself in the air has to take some responsibility for doing so IMO.

As the current directive is being managed, correct yellow card.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure that Sean Davey's communications were the best,

He always goes with the ref.

Its a pointless conversation once one the ref has said yellow, the RFU would crucify the TMO if he said live, nah mate you're wrong. Afterwards the team can be criticised as one.