Gloucester v Leicester - ruck

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was watching the above match from last Friday(?)

Near the end of the first half there's a tackle that ends up with tackler Kyle Eastmond (Lei) trapping the ball, in the now formed ruck, under his legs. Tempest tells Heinz (Glo SH) the ball's available which is debatable but WH dutifully digs it out of LHS side of the ruck and then then places it back in the ruck (further back - a good metre or so) and trots round to the back to get his pass away. Lots of Leicester arm flapping but Tempo lets it all go and manages to keep Leicester on side to boot.

I've no video but it's about 5 mins from HT if anyone saw it.

Top marks for referee and players keeping the game moving but I can't help thinking at my levels I'd be setting myself up for some right slavver and/or a free for all if I'd let that go.

Personally I'd have PK'd Eastmond for not rolling away.

Probably just another example of how different showbiz and weeds rugby are? :)

Like we didn't know already.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I saw it too. I didn't think it was right either.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree with the OP that down in the weeds that just would not have happened. I just can’t work out the ref’s thought process at all other than he didn’t know how to deal with it so letting it go seemed the path of least resistance. The whole process of the SH digging the ball out from a twol (no ruck seemed to have been formed) to place it at the rear before playing it looks bizarre.

The reason this resonated though was that I penalised a SH at the weekend for digging a ball out of the centre of a genuine ruck and then found myself saying to him that I would accept reaching in to free a ball trapped near the back of the breakdown but that he couldn’t just reach in when he felt like it to bypass the whole ruck operation.

Whilst thinking about the game afterwards though I thought we’re just making a rod for our own back here. Either we allow it or we don’t but what we can’t do is what I actually did which was deciding on the spot how far is acceptable with no law justification and no pre-guidance to the players. All of which leaves me wondering what to do this weekend when the same thing happens again.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I tell SH they are allowed to dig but when they pull it free they have to play it. They can't put it down again

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Once the ruck / TWOL is won / lost (notwithstanding any subsequent reversal), then let's just get the game going. Before the competition is over, follow the written Laws.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with the OP that down in the weeds that just would not have happened. I just can’t work out the ref’s thought process at all other than he didn’t know how to deal with it so letting it go seemed the path of least resistance. The whole process of the SH digging the ball out from a twol (no ruck seemed to have been formed) to place it at the rear before playing it looks bizarre.

The reason this resonated though was that I penalised a SH at the weekend for digging a ball out of the centre of a genuine ruck and then found myself saying to him that I would accept reaching in to free a ball trapped near the back of the breakdown but that he couldn’t just reach in when he felt like it to bypass the whole ruck operation.

Whilst thinking about the game afterwards though I thought we’re just making a rod for our own back here. Either we allow it or we don’t but what we can’t do is what I actually did which was deciding on the spot how far is acceptable with no law justification and no pre-guidance to the players. All of which leaves me wondering what to do this weekend when the same thing happens again.

Try telling the SH this next.

"Hands in the ruck. The ruck contest wasnt over".

(If you get that blank look you can follow with "You cant put hands in there until youve won the ball AND and the contest is over")

We are only allowing the digging when the ruck is won and the contest is over...and we want the ball in play.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think that this is an example of finding reasons not to blow.

KE was causing a bit of a nuisance and had found himself trapped. At these levels the players understand that, in the interests of game continuity, they may not be allowed to challenge for the ball because the referee is permitting latitude for a defensive transgression.

Good game management IMHO.