Goal Line or 22 Drop out

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
question : where is the Law that says that a regular knock on into touch = options for the opposition, scrum or lineout?

tried to look it up to see what it says, precisely, and for the life of me can't find it.🤷‍♂️
Law 18.8a, third row, alongside 19.1 first row!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Law 18.8a, third row, alongside 19.1 first row!
The only issue with 18.8a is that it doesn’t mention knocking-on or throwing forward. There is no option. 19.1 makes no mention of where the ball ends up and again doesn’t suggest any option.

Because a forward pass into touch is not a very common occurrence I think that it is something that newish refs don’t think about until it happens and then consult the book and discover that there is no mention of an option except for at a knock-on. The relative rarity may be the reason why local societies don’t cover it in any training sessions. For me, I thought it was common knowledge until I questioned a ref as to why he didn’t offer an option. I try in reports to quote a law if I feel a ref has not complied with the laws or misinterpreted something and this is what triggered me to delve deeper.

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have been reliably informed that the Sanction against 11.2 is recognised to be misplaced and will be adjusted in WR's next issue.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
As per my comment in the other thread. Revues tend to take place in August. I hope they stick to this because after the RWC would mean no changes in reality until the following season for the NH. Though I suppose we are talking clarity/guidance here rather than changes of law. There is always a ‘debrief’ after a RWC but this is not rushed. Raising points of law generated from the grassroots involves going through many hoops. I first raised the matter of 11.2, knocks-on, forward passes and options last February.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As per my comment in the other thread. Revues tend to take place in August. I hope they stick to this because after the RWC would mean no changes in reality until the following season for the NH. Though I suppose we are talking clarity/guidance here rather than changes of law. There is always a ‘debrief’ after a RWC but this is not rushed. Raising points of law generated from the grassroots involves going through many hoops. I first raised the matter of 11.2, knocks-on, forward passes and options last February.
this is the sort of thing they could easily address with a 'clarification' now (followed up in the next law book change)