Goal or not

scarletman

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
While watching the Worcester Warriors v Ospreys in the EDF at Sixways, James Hook had an penalty attempt at goal from 55m+.

The ball dropped short, the Worcester players did not rush to take the ball, which then bounced, hit the cross bar, & came back towards the 22.

Had that ball bounced over the cross bar, would the penalty score have counted? :confused:

I have scoured the IRB 2007 but have failed to find my answer.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No goal - Law 9.A.2(a) - "If after the ball is kicked, it touches the ground or any team-mate of the kicker, a goal cannot be scored."

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does that include the cross-bar Pablo? I would have given it if the ball bounced off the cross-bar and over.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ball dropped short, ... then bounced, hit the cross bar, & came back towards the 22.

Does that include the cross-bar Pablo? I would have given it if the ball bounced off the cross-bar and over.

Emmet - if it made it to the cross-bar in the air, hit it on the full adn then went over, the goal is scored. If, however, it hits the ground before going over, no goal - Pablo's Law applies.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Emmet - if it made it to the cross-bar in the air, hit it on the full adn then went over, the goal is scored. If, however, it hits the ground before going over, no goal - Pablo's Law applies.

Pablo's Law? Is that the Mexican version of Murphy's Law? :D

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Hmm. Murphy's Law is more like 6.A.8(h) What other laws can we assign a name to?

9.A.2(a): Pablo's Law
2.1: Gilbert's Law
12.1: White's Law