Gridiron techniques at the ruck

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
For those familiar with American football, here is a question.

After a tackle, Black player steps over the ball as Red player comes into contact for what should be a ruck. Red player gets underneath the Black player pops the Black player as a defensive end would do in a gridiron game (arms against the chest pushing out). The Black player was knocked down I was fine with everything except the push off with the arms at contact. Am I misinterpreting the bind requirement? Should the Red player actually grasp the Black or is a chest bump enough?

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
They are not binding. Using only the forearms is improper. See 16.2

(b) A player joining a ruck must bind on a team-mate or an opponent, using the whole arm. The bind must either precede, or be simultaneous with, contact with any other part of the body of the player joining the ruck.
Sanction: Penalty kick

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
As this happened in open play, everyone saw and the Red sideline let me know about it for the remainder of the game. It was disheartening that after the game, Red just stayed pissed and didn't want to hear my explanation.:mad:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
They are not binding. Using only the forearms is improper. See 16.2

(b) A player joining a ruck must bind on a team-mate or an opponent, using the whole arm. The bind must either precede, or be simultaneous with, contact with any other part of the body of the player joining the ruck.
Sanction: Penalty kick
Barker14610, I'm not sure this is the correct law for the circumstances. If I read Woody's post correctly, the contact between the plays actually set up the ruck, whereas 16.2(b) deals with joining an existin ruck. Under 16.1(b), all that is necessary to form a ruck is physical contact in an unspecified form. I don't know the technique you are referring to, but I think the answer may go beyond Barker14610's view.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with Dixie's view.

The criteria for forming a ruck (physical contact) are different from those joining one.

I'd suggest, all you're looking for at the "formation" stage is that there's nothing dangerous happening.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Agreed. And, in fact, there was a lot of this type of contact in the England match yesterday.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with Dixie's view.

The criteria for forming a ruck (physical contact) are different from those joining one.

I'd suggest, all you're looking for at the "formation" stage is that there's nothing dangerous happening.

I agree, and would argue that before a ruck has been formed, players should be looking to go for the ball. If they come in charging with the intent to simply use their forearms to blast opponents away, they are going to get pinged for dangerous play if I have the whistle. I think woody is right to be calling it that way, and his "Red" team really have nothing to whinge about.

Multiple examples here. Look for the tackles where the wrap we are expecting is missing. The first balck and white hit works very well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4765084100986840523#

Sheesh, there is some illegal play in there, even for Gridiron.

2:29 is a classic example of "roughing the passer"... PEEP!!!. 15-yards and probably 1st down!!

Last edited: