H Cup: YC against Nakaga - Racing vs. Clermont

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so if you are running with arm pumping and then change your running style by instead pumping the arm, use iot to fend off, is that wrong?

what about dropping the shoulder into contact which you weren't doing when running?

Strewth.... lets not get like football where the mere hint of body near another player is a foul.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Just watched it again.

the defender should be dropped to the 3rds and told to learn to tackle again.

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you - the video would be useful as a training tool to novice players.

How NOT to tackle.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A poor call indeed. IMO, this is play on, not even a PK.

A player's running style changes all the time, especially if they are trying to "step" a would-be tackler. The ball carrier is not obliged to run with nice even paces so that the tackler has a better chance of lining him up. In any case, the knee starts to come up before the tackler's head is anywhere near, so intent to strike the head is not an issue. This looks to me like a late attempt to do a "Campese" style stutter-step.

Incidentally, the Blue tackler needs to do some remedial training on how to tackle. Go for the chest or the ankles. In between is just dumb.

If one of my boys was tackling like that, I'd be getting him off the field pronto before he gets himself seriously injured.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... nothing wrong with the wing's running style or change to it - we used to 'step into' tackles all the time. ... Wasn't a PK even in my book.
I don't have a law reference but I thought that jumping into a tackle was a PK offence. Isn't it? :chin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
jumping into tackles comes up here fairly regularly and at best the jury is out - theres some clip on youtube IIRC of Shame Williams hurdling a tackler to score.

As for this guy - he doesn't jump into the tackle. He picks his knee up to attempt to break the wrap, and drops his shoulder towards the tackler with a view to knocking the tackler away (if high enough), arm dropping to fend off (if needed) and changing direction slightly in towards the tackler to spoil the timing of the tackle... all top skills I'd suggest.

The fact that the tackler

* doesn't lead and plant a foot
* gets his head totally on the wrong side
* hasn't shrugged his shoulders up
* doesn't Hit with the shoulder
* gets nowhere near a wrap

are all hugely influential factors as to what happens next.

What's more, had he actually stuck his head BEHIND the legs, he would still have failed the tackle, but he wouldn't have been knocked over/out, and Nakaga would have continued his merry way unimpeded... and there would have been not a single thought that his actions were in any way unlawful.

didds

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Just to say that the player's name is Napolioni Nalaga.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't have a law reference but I thought that jumping into a tackle was a PK offence. Isn't it? :chin:

Not as such, no. There is no Law that forbids it.

However, a referee can still decide that a specific action of a player that is not usually penalisable, is in fact is dangerous, as in a hand off!

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I'm really not sure what your point about the trip with a head is all about. Sorry. so I'll ignore it as irrelevant..
Just read it again.. Fair enough, not that clear. I was just wondering how illegal was the so called tackle...

My opinion, as already clearly stated, is that it was DELIBERATE foul play and a good call. Was is yellow or red? No problem with either.

As you say YES he did change his running style, and the exaggerated lift of the knee.
Ok, clear. I respect your opinion. I just don't share it.

Just to say that the player's name is Napolioni Nalaga.

Yeah! I just realised I had a typo in the title. :eek:fftopic: sorry...

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Sense prevails.
Apparently ERC confirm that Naipolioni Nalaga will face no further sanction following citing, free to play v Harlequins

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sense prevails.
Apparently ERC confirm that Naipolioni Nalaga will face no further sanction following citing, free to play v Harlequins

Not at all surprised. The YC was bollocks in the first place.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just seen the video (wouldn't let me watch it at work) and I "might" have a word about the leading forearm of the ball carrier, otherwise, play on.