Halagahu's high shot

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We've already seen and discussed Bergamasco's tackle on BOD. What do you make of the high tackle on Nacewa?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not really a lot in it. Blue dips down as he steps in, trailing inside arm from the defender hits his head. Penalty elsewhere on the pitch, word with the offender as a try has been scored. Not a card offence for me.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not really a lot in it. Blue dips down as he steps in, trailing inside arm from the defender hits his head. Penalty elsewhere on the pitch, word with the offender as a try has been scored. Not a card offence for me.

No attempt to ever use right arm to make a bonafide tackle. above the shoulder + through the throat = YC for me.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How often do you see someone trying to make a tackle with a trailing inside arm NOT use their second arm straight away? I would say most of the time.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
He wrong footed the defender took a blow scored a try. A chat from the referee job done.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's certainly not a trailing left arm. He tenses up and pops him with a stiffened left arm. Easy YC for me.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How often do you see someone trying to make a tackle with a trailing inside arm NOT use their second arm straight away? I would say most of the time.

In which case by definition, they are "not trying to make a tackle" they're trying to make a 'hit' at best.

Get rid of all arm across the face/neck area attempts, higher tackling is another RLeague trait that's damaging RUnion IMO, fortunately it still remains illegal, so we should eradictate it.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Totally disagree Browner. Sometimes it is just not possible to get both arms there together. If you are wrong footed by someone your reaction is to try and slow them with your arm and allow the other (which could be rapidly moving in the opposite direction ) to catch up.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Totally disagree Browner. Sometimes it is just not possible to get both arms there together. If you are wrong footed by someone your reaction is to try and slow them with your arm and allow the other (which could be rapidly moving in the opposite direction ) to catch up.

None of which is objected to, go high & run the risk when you get it wrong. IMO ref got it wrong. YC.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
:biggrin:That's the beauty of any incident. Ask 5 people you will get 5 different versions of events. The ref can only deal with what him and the AR "see's" they had a chat came to an agreed decision. Which is better than them disagreeing and looking in divisive

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In which case by definition, they are "not trying to make a tackle" they're trying to make a 'hit' at best.

Get rid of all arm across the face/neck area attempts, higher tackling is another RLeague trait that's damaging RUnion IMO, fortunately it still remains illegal, so we should eradictate it.

I agree with Browner. It is no excuse to say that something dangerous is instinctive. Players need to learn to suppress such instincts. Sanctions will perhaps persuade them of that.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That's certainly not a trailing left arm. He tenses up and pops him with a stiffened left arm. Easy YC for me.

That's my take on it. Very hard to call for officals seeing as they wanted to talk to 23 even though Halangahu was wearing 10.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I'd also have had a word with white 8 for high as well.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well I'm outnumbered but it still wouldn't be getting a card from me!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Well I'm outnumbered but it still wouldn't be getting a card from me!

How about a compressed windpipe - would that sway you? or maybe if the adams apple pops outta the back of the neck!
It's worth noting that 'Dangerous' doesn't require it to be 'deliberate' , it can be careless & still be so.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Taking away the elite game for a moment....I find it interesting that many on here see it as a high shot, and I agree, but I find over here that even at the grassroots levels that the higher the level game the refs give more latitude to let high shots go without PK. Is it the same over there?
What I find frustrating and bewildering is that at development meetings we are constantly told and shown high shots at local games, and then the very next week I see high shots. Is it that refs tolerance levels increases as the games go higher...so once they get to elite it is accepted that the players can handle the odd stray lazy chop around the neck?
Not saying it's right...just saying that it's what I've noticed.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Browner I fully understand that's why the referee had a chat to the player involved.

I would be more worried of a deceleration c-spine injury that a tracheal injury the trachea is made up of ringed cartridge which in essence has a certain bounce back ability although a blow like that can cause oedema and laryngeal spasm.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taking away the elite game for a moment....I find it interesting that many on here see it as a high shot, and I agree, but I find over here that even at the grassroots levels that the higher the level game the refs give more latitude to let high shots go without PK. Is it the same over there?
What I find frustrating and bewildering is that at development meetings we are constantly told and shown high shots at local games, and then the very next week I see high shots. Is it that refs tolerance levels increases as the games go higher...so once they get to elite it is accepted that the players can handle the odd stray lazy chop around the neck?
Not saying it's right...just saying that it's what I've noticed.

elite level rugby has much lower safety standards, I think, they tolerate high tackles, they tolerate players with concussion staying on pitch and they tolerate copious bleeding.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
elite level rugby has much lower safety standards, I think, they tolerate high tackles, they tolerate players with concussion staying on pitch and they tolerate copious bleeding.

WOW, I'm a nazi when it comes to concusion tests for head injuries. If I'm right I'm sure there is an IRB guidance for head injuries. Last one I had for the team I medic I made sure he was CT scanded due to prolonged post concusion syndrome.