[Ruck] Hands in the ruck

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
2018 Law 15 Ruck

During the Ruck

11. Once a ruck has formed, no player may handle the ball unless they were able to get their
hands on the ball before the ruck formed and stay on their feet.

What is being trialled and can you give me a reference? If a player from the tackling team gets hands on the ball must they release it if engaged by a teammate of the BC?

I'm getting lost in the "Fog of Law".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Once the ruck has formed you can't put your hands on the ball.

However if you had your hands on the ball legally "before" the ruck formed (Usually called jackling), then you don't have to let go after the ruck has formed around you. But if you lose contact with the ball, you can't then go back in for a second go.

This is not a trial, it has been like this for quite a while.

[LAWS]2017 law
16.4 (b) Players must not handle the ball in a ruck except after a tackle if they are on their feet and
have their hands on the ball before the ruck is formed.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When the top referees PK someone and say he was beaten by the ruck ... What do they mean exactly..

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When the top referees PK someone and say he was beaten by the ruck ... What do they mean exactly..

Usually means he was trying to get a grasp of the ball but the ruck formed before he accomplished this. So the player never fully got hold of the ball. The ruck beat him to the ball.

Also they can get hands on but lose the ball when they are driven off it by ruckers. Usually called as "Didn't survive the clearout".

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Surely it is just a rewrite of
16.4(b)
Players must not handle the ball in a ruck except after a tackle if they are on their feet and have their hands on the ball before the ruck is formed.

So we have lost "except after a tackle" but still have all the other clauses.

So if the ball is lose and you get your hands on it, but have not lifted it off the ground, and someone binds onto you to form a ruck, as opposed to tackling you -
something that I am sure has happened at least once in the history of rugby - then previously you would have had to release the ball and now you don't.

I would not lose sleep over that difference.

You could argue that neither version specifically requires contact to be maintained - but if they argue that after I have blown the whistle they can expect to be marched 10 metres for dissent.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Finally figured out where I had this notion. Law Review Group document from late 2015 of propose trial changes.

6. Players must not handle the ball in a breakdown once the breakdown is formed. Once the breakdown contest is formed the player must release the ball. (New 16.4 – Other breakdown offences)

Mono-rucks referred to as 'breakdowns'.