Happy Birthday

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have just noticed that Bill Beaumont and Martin Johnson both have birthdays today.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... and Yuri Gagarin. What are the chances?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Apparently it happens every year.

There have been 128 England Captains - so it was almost inevitable that two would share a birthday.
There have been 13 England Grand Slams. The chance that two people from 13 sharing a birthday is only about 20%.

The chance that the pair share a birthday with Yuri Gagarin is about 1 in 365, but the chance they share it with someone well known is unity.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
And I thought Bill Beaumont is a proud Lancastrian - so your either Martin Johnson's father or Yuri Gagarin's

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Apparently it happens every year.

There have been 128 England Captains - so it was almost inevitable that two would share a birthday.
There have been 13 England Grand Slams. The chance that two people from 13 sharing a birthday is only about 20%.

The chance that the pair share a birthday with Yuri Gagarin is about 1 in 365, but the chance they share it with someone well known is unity.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Very early in my statistics degree we were shown that its statistically likely that as few as less than fprty are needed for there to be two people sharing a birthday. In our first year starts class of around fifty, we had five pairs (I was in one of them)
Didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Very early in my statistics degree we were shown that its statistically likely that as few as less than fprty are needed for there to be two people sharing a birthday. In our first year starts class of around fifty, we had five pairs (I was in one of them)
Didds
For a 50% chance of of a pair you only need 23 people.

What matters, of course, is not the number of people, but the number of pairs. Any crib player can tell you that 2 equal cards = 1 pair, 3 cards = 3 pairs, and 4 cards = 6 pairs

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yes indeed OB. "statistically" likely seemed to be 90% in this case in my 1st year lecture. Interestingly by the time I was in my 3rd year, and doing applied stats with real world data we needed to use 95% !

:)

didds