Hard of hearing referees?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I recently found an old post about Deaf Rugby, and was surprised to find you can qualify with only moderate hearing loss (25db average).

i referee and I’m now classed as severely hard of hearing. Minimum 40db loss at lower frequencies to profound, meaning total loss at higher frequencies). I use hearing aids and although I do struggle to hear the players sometimes I’ve not found my hearing a significant barrier. In some ways it helps as I can ignore sideline abuse as although I can hear the sound I’ve no idea who is saying what so can’t get offended by it:biggrin:.

the main problem is wind noise as there is no way of shielding the hearing aid mics like you would a normal mike (you’d look a bit silly with loads of fluffy stuff around your ears!)

anyone else referee with hearing loss and got any experiences to share?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Perhaps you found one of Wireless’ posts. While the gentleman wasn’t a referee, it might be worth your while contacting Deaf Rugby and asking them. Alternatively, send him an email (although with the amount of spam he has received since posting his email address on this site, he may have changed emails by now)

Deaf rugby... what?
(This archived discussion has a link to an article the member did for Robbie.)

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have a former colleague here in New York that used hearing aids. If there was any back chat he would start by mentioning that he couldn't hear them, then he'd turn the volume down, then if it continued he would take the hearing aid off.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have a former colleague here in New York that used hearing aids. If there was any back chat he would start by mentioning that he couldn't hear them, then he'd turn the volume down.

So, does anyone think that by saying this you are calling him a liar and impugning his integrity ?

Sorry couldn't resist it. No need to amswer

Last edited:

mark.lucas

Post Likes
I have a hearing loss but use in-ear-canal hearing aids. I occasionally get wind noise but it's never a problem as a 5 degree turn of the head will get rid of it.

I appreciate these aren't the cheapest option but they work for me when refereeing and in general life.

FWIW, here in Potomac (that's the Society covering DC, MD and Northern Virginia) we have a deaf school where we officiate. The players are great and for the scrum engagement the referee actually quickly inserts their hand into the tunnel on each command so everyone knows when to engage. If the referee blows to stop play then any player who has heard the whistle stops and stands with both arms up - those who couldn't hear the whistle quickly get the message.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
That sound like it must make for a wonderfully disciplined game