Has Nigel made a mistake?

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scotland v SA today. Pieterson turns the Scotland player upside down and lets him land on his head. TMO eventually talks Nigel into a penalty, just a penalty, when it looks to fit all the requirements of a straight red. Sam Warburton must be shaking his head in disbelief.

Thoughts?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If I'm being honest, I reckon the Blue player made a meal of it.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

:wow:

I should say also that I did wonder about Pieterson's high tackle on Weir just short of the line on the Scottish breakaway try. The Blessed One didn't even have a word.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
not a red, he wasn't dropped or thrown. from what i could see, pietersen did his best to bring him to ground safely and did a pretty decent job of it. i was thinking yellow at most.

- - - Updated - - -

i suspect you're thinking of hogg's dive, which probably should have been a penalty against him.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just watched the replay and NO got it spot on. JPP lifts the player but before he goes past horizontal, puts an arm around the blue player's ribs. The blue player then tucks his head under and causes the roll himself.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I thought Owens got the "tip" spot on. Without TMO I coukd easily see a red being given. Well done the TMO and NO.

I wonder if the actual correct course of action would have been a PK to South Africa for action contrary to sportsmanship (10.4 m). If we want to get serious about diving there needs to be actual sanctions for it.

Certinly an option.

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I wonder if the actual correct course of action would have been a PK to South Africa for action contrary to sportsmanship (10.4 m). If we want to get serious about diving there needs to be actual sanctions for it.
I think he missed it originally and then felt it was too late to go back for the PK- hence the talking too.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think he missed it originally and then felt it was too late to go back for the PK- hence the talking too.

Yes, he had already awarded a FK at the lineout by the time he heard it from the TMO . He probably could not have gone back and sanctioned it even if he wanted to.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Sir Nige is repeating his 1-liners though... I recall Tigers v Ulster and another similar diving and soccer reference.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Re: Re : Has Nigel made a mistake?

Just watched the replay and NO got it spot on. JPP lifts the player but before he goes past horizontal, puts an arm around the blue player's ribs. The blue player then tucks his head under and causes the roll himself.
Exactly. It's just my opinion, but I reckon Blue knew full well there was a strong possibility of a :norc: if he landed on his head or shoulder and tried to make pretty damn sure he landed on his head or shoulder. His body action just didn't look natural.

Is there a video of the incident BTW?

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Exactly. It's just my opinion, but I reckon Blue knew full well there was a strong possibility of a :norc: if he landed on his head or shoulder and tried to make pretty damn sure he landed on his head or shoulder. His body action just didn't look natural.

Is there a video of the incident BTW?

I disagree; tucking his head under was self-preservation. Are you really saying that you believe he was trying to get his neck broken by trying to land on his head - because that's what your emphasised comment above reads like.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes

I disagree; tucking his head under was self-preservation. Are you really saying that you believe he was trying to get his neck broken by trying to land on his head - because that's what your emphasised comment above reads like.
No, I'm saying that in my opinion he was doing everything possible to make sure the tackler got carded.

From memory the tackler could be seen reacting to try and bring him safely to ground. Someone must have a link to a video of the incident, but it seemed pretty innocuous to me and there wasn't much chance of him getting hurt. Did Blue stick his arm out instinctively? I don't think he did.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
TBH I did not think this was NOs best day at the office, but he was at least clear in his explanations and Hogg did deserve at the very least the stern talking to he got from NO. Also, what was Greig Laidlaw thinking? He probably wasn't (thinking). But first SA try, surely held up? at least for long enough. It took the third SA player diving on the top to get it near to the grass! And NO seems to be harsher on forward passes than the other refs (but he seems consistently so)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Are you really saying that you believe he was trying to get his neck broken by trying to land on his head - because that's what your emphasised comment above reads like.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying and I believe Taff agrees.
This was an attempt by the Scotland player to get JPP red carded.
The Scotland player puts his hand on the ground then does a pissweak forward roll with tuck.
Watch from 68:53 on game clock.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes

Yes, that'sexactly what I am saying and I believe Taff agrees. This was an attempt by the Scotland player to get JPP red carded. The Scotland player puts his hand on the ground then does a pissweak forward roll with tuck.
Couldn't agree with you more Fat. Dangerous my arse; my boy has been in more "danger" playing rough and tumble on the living room carpet.

Watching it again, I am convinced the Blue player knew exactly what he was doing and thought he could con the Ref etc into carding the SA player. Pietersen does lift him, then realises his mistake and tries to hold him up; but by then Blue player was determined he was going down passed the horizontal. PS: his forward roll technique needs some work. Not impressed by Blue.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying and I believe Taff agrees.
This was an attempt by the Scotland player to get JPP red carded.
The Scotland player puts his hand on the ground then does a pissweak forward roll with tuck.
Watch from 68:53 on game clock.

That's true dedication to the cause. Trading a potential life in a wheelchair for a RC for your opponent.

JPP hasn't got the strength to hold him up from that position. As his right hand contacts the ground, he's got a choice - go straight down and land on the crown of his head, or try to tuck his head under and roll through it - although with little forward momentum, the roll was never going to be spectacular.