Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The bit that I would like to have seen/heard, [no criticism of you Chogan] is how the referee handled the post-initial 'handbags' of this clip....clearly it was festering/carryover

The players went for the safety in numbers approach, referee whistling seemed to make no difference

Q? what should have resulted, 4 / 6 / 8 RC's?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would have abandoned the game, they weren't there to play rugby.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I would have abandoned the game, they weren't there to play rugby.

Abandoning the game is hard at any time but when TV is involved and all the money etc... that goes with it, it must be nearly impossible.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Q? what should have resulted, 4 / 6 / 8 RC's?

I'm not sure how many RC incidents were in that. Definitely more than 3. If there was a foul play TMO it'd take a long time to clean it up. That said, it might have only flared up once.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But on these very rare occasions, the game is out of control, the referee has no authority and if you stop it, you may save someone from serious injury.
Let the blazers sort it out.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Abandoning the game is hard at any time but when TV is involved and all the money etc... that goes with it, it must be nearly impossible.

Im with Phil E on this one, the players are not interested in playing rugby anymore, abandon the game and let the authorities haul both clubs before the discipline board. Stuff the TV/money etc arguement, they are their too play rugby not fight every 2 minutes.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Also (final comment), letting that carry on in front of a tv audience does nothing for the image of the game.
Better to stop it.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Im with Phil E on this one, the players are not interested in playing rugby anymore, abandon the game and let the authorities haul both clubs before the discipline board. Stuff the TV/money etc arguement, they are their too play rugby not fight every 2 minutes.

I agree but imagine the flack you could end up with if you did abandon it.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I agree but imagine the flack you could end up with if you did abandon it.

And what of the 30+ grown men supposed to be playing rugby, what flack would they recieve??? Probably nothing, blame it all on the official.

This season I have seen a 15 man brawl in a game at around the 50 minute mark, after 10 minutes when everything had calmed down, ref spoke to both capts, RC 6 players and then abandoned the game after both capts said they couldnt control their teams if it started again.

When it went to the discipline board, both teams tried to use the defence that the ref wasnt up to the game and was weak and allowed things to go on. Discipline panel saw it differently after viewing a video of said incident.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I just saw that clip when it was linked on Twitter. When the second brawl happened so quickly I was wondering whether the video would end with an abandonment - particularly with less than 10 minutes left. I think there's a strong argument that if a referee knows it's likely that there's been serious foul play that he hasn't seen clearly enough to take action over which the players appear likely to want to take retribution for, safety suggests abandonment. The willingness to punch in that manner wasn't limited to the players who were sent off, and in those circumstances it doesn't seem safe to continue.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
both capts said they couldnt control their teams if it started again.

I guess an appropriate question ..... "Captains, we can't continue if you can't control your players, - do you want the opportunity ? ...... in my mind, it's now up to you" !

Question .. .. .. I often read advice on this site .... take some simmer down time, gather thoughts & restart when temperature has dropped, so how long could this simmer down time take, 5mins? 7 / 10 /12 ........ 20! ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When it went to the discipline board, both teams tried to use the defence that the ref wasnt up to the game and was weak and allowed things to go on.
Even if their assessment of the referee was true, why on earth did they think that excused their total lack of discipline?

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last time I had a punch up it was probably 5 mins till we restarted, give me time to write a few notes on the red I'd issued, captains to talk to there teams etc. I then blew up very quickly at each breakdown for the next few minutes to try to prevent further flare ups.

I would take as long as you need, if you think that will be too long, then you will have decided by default that the match needs to be abandoned!

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Even if their assessment of the referee was true, why on earth did they think that excused their total lack of discipline?

Assessment totally unfounded, referee is good quality bloke, both teams had issues with each other off the pitch, quite local to each other, things boiled over on pitch and in changing areas.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Assessment totally unfounded, referee is good quality bloke, both teams had issues with each other off the pitch, quite local to each other, things boiled over on pitch and in changing areas.

Yep, this sounds like one for the blazers to sort out !

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
This match was one of the ProD2 semi-finals. It is one of the reason why the ref didn't stop it.

Do you stop all your games when you have one or two massive brawls?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
This match was one of the ProD2 semi-finals. It is one of the reason why the ref didn't stop it.

Do you stop all your games when you have one or two massive brawls?

All the more reason to. set an example and a standard.