HIA and YC on same player

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
there is no HIA at grass roots

but where we have rolling subs a coach might swap a player off after a clattering, decide there is nothing to 'recognise' and then swap him back on again .

Last edited:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
No. He is referring to grass roots rugby with rolling subs. There is no HIA at that level.

Oh, I must've missed when he mentioned grass roots level. Fair enough.

HIA only exists at the elite adult level with the approval of WR

We do follow some sort of HIA protocol at the non-elite adult level where I play too.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We do follow some sort of HIA protocol at the non-elite adult level where I play too.
Curious about this, since even at the highest club level in my territory, there is no HIA under any circumstances.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Curious about this, since even at the highest club level in my territory, there is no HIA under any circumstances.

Unless I'm misremembering, but I recall seeing in the recent years to re-certify as a ref for USA Rugby, there was an increased amount of information one needed to learn and training on how to assess a head injury and when to permanently send someone off for one vs clearing them to continue to play.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Unless I'm misremembering, but I recall seeing in the recent years to re-certify as a ref for USA Rugby, there was an increased amount of information one needed to learn and training on how to assess a head injury and when to permanently send someone off for one vs clearing them to continue to play.
That is "recognize and remove," which is much different from HIA

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
That is "recognize and remove," which is much different from HIA

Ahh, I was wondering if I had some wires crossed along the way. What are the main differences?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ahh, I was wondering if I had some wires crossed along the way. What are the main differences?
It's just to do with the regime for temporary substitutions.

Otherwise it's basically the same : in both cases if you recognise symptoms of concussion the player is removed

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The HIA protocol is aimed at elite professional rugby, where clubs/teams have team doctors, TMOs who can review game footage and have players sent into protocol.

RnR is for the rest of us, where it's more about protecting amateurs who "have to rock up to a 9-5 Monday morning."

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh, I must've missed when he mentioned grass roots level. Fair enough.

That is contrary to USA Rugby guidance. Guidance, in this case being a euphemism for mandate. If a player goes for a head injury or suspected head injury, they are meant to stay off.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
That is contrary to USA Rugby guidance. Guidance, in this case being a euphemism for mandate. If a player goes for a head injury or suspected head injury, they are meant to stay off.
Yea I got my wires crossed and thought HIA was the same protocol. We follow the USA Rugby guidance for recognize and remove as smeagol reminded me.