[Tackle] High Tackle on kicker

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 9.25 : A player must not intentionally charge or obstruct an opponent who has just kicked the ball.
Sanction: Penalty. The non-offending team chooses to take the penalty either: At the place of the infringement; or Where the ball lands .....[/LAWS]

I had a situation this w/e when kicker was not tackled late, but it was high. PK only as tackle started low, rode up to make contact with neck and head, not much force. I gave the PK at the point of tackle (~30m out, in front of the posts - from which 3 points were kicked) and not where the ball landed (10m out from goal line, 15m in from touch).

Should I have given the option to take the PK from where the ball landed?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 9.25 : A player must not intentionally charge or obstruct an opponent who has just kicked the ball.
Sanction: Penalty. The non-offending team chooses to take the penalty either: At the place of the infringement; or Where the ball lands .....[/LAWS]

I had a situation this w/e when kicker was not tackled late, but it was high. PK only as tackle started low, rode up to make contact with neck and head, not much force. I gave the PK at the point of tackle (~30m out, in front of the posts - from which 3 points were kicked) and not where the ball landed (10m out from goal line, 15m in from touch).

If he successfully made a kick -- are you sure th tackle wasn't late

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Maybe the tackler was comitted & couldnt pull away ???
Sanction still the same for me .
Penalty at spot or where ball lands ( but 15 meters in from side & 5 meters from goal as a minimum )

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I think you're correct. PK at the point of infringment.(Presumably the high tackle wasnt in th YC scale). Sanction for "just" a high tackle doesn't include gain in ground.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Imagine the tackle hadn't been high. Would there still have been an infringement or play on?

If the latter, PK at place of infringement only.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Imagine the tackle hadn't been high. Would there still have been an infringement or play on?

If the latter, PK at place of infringement only.

I think that sums it up nicely. the only problem here is timing, or more importantly time taken. If the initial tackle was fine (just after the kick) if the ball has gone they should not be continuing with the tackle, so the idea of a legal tackle now riding up around the neck/head area does not quite stack up. This now gets into the realms of lateness, which you could interpret at late charging. Hmmmmm. One of those I think you'd have to see and make a call at the time.