Current Referee grade:
Level 1
could easily of been red .
not much difference in that and a shoulder to head . { as in pain wise }
totally reckless .

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I noticed on subsequent viewings (which the ref didn't have the luxury of of course) that in fact the swinging arm does seem to actually clock the England player's head before landing around the neck/shoulder area.

didds

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I noticed on subsequent viewings (which the ref didn't have the luxury of of course) that in fact the swinging arm does seem to actually clock the white player's head before landing around the neck/shoulder area.

didds

Agreed. I thought it was the angle of the replays that made it look worse, rather than any slowing down, mind. And the referee was on that side, though could easily have been unsighted.

Lucky it was just a YC.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Red warranted. No mitigating circumstances.

I might have seen it as a yellow from the initial TV angle from not having spotted the direct contact.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ref seemed a bit hasty and could have taken time off and consulted with the ARs and/or TMO, just to confirm the colour of the card, he know he was going to give him a card. IMHO, and with the aid of replays, I would have given\recommended a :rc:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
RC would have been OK, but Mercer England 8 might have deserved something for his obstruction. No way for a captain to behave!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Cannot view the OP's link so here it is for others where that video is not available.
If you slow it down, you can see that the initial contact is flush across the nose.
Always high, with force, first contact with the head, RC.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ref seemed a bit hasty and could have taken time off and consulted with the ARs and/or TMO, just to confirm the colour of the card, he know he was going to give him a card. IMHO, and with the aid of replays, I would have given\recommended a :rc:

Maybe in an already one sided game he thought it better to just give the YC and get on with it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe in an already one sided game he thought it better to just give the YC and get on with it.

There's no match clock on the video, but England score their first try after 3 minutes, and that YC is the next in the highlights - as its a restart its could even very likely be the restart afterwards - so only a very few minutes into the game. In fact the following action in that video is England's second try "ten points in ten minutes"... so the YC is at at best around 5 minutes of the game. the ref wouldn't have known (though maybe sensed!) that it would become a 70+ point drubbing

Leaving aside whether refs should make "mercy calls" on stuff that would normally provide a RC, but that's another debate for another thread.

didds

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Are TMOs in action in this tournament? If so that should have been reviewed - with RC the likely result.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
WR website says he is 19, dob 29 December 1997, 175cm tall and weighs 97kg. Mind you they do say the camera ages you and adds 10kg!

I retired from playing the week after he was born :wow: Perhaps it's like the Dalai Lama and as I retired I passed on my sagacity and Rugby prowess to a tiny infant in the South Seas - or perhaps not.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The YC doesn't surprise me, Elite Ref's have systematically diluted WR's instructions. Give it another 6 months of watering & this will likely not even be a card at pro level.

As for his physical maturity, confusion can genuinely happen in some area's of the world, least that's what page 82
points 5] & 6] acknowledges in this respected report

https://www.unicef.org/pacificislands/BR_Report_Part2.pdf

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7