Highlanders v Rebels

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
2 things for me.

There was an almost carbon copy of the NRL tackle that put someone in a wheelchair that the referee decided was only worthy of a PK, despite watching it on the big screen.

Referee missed what looked to me like a dead-set penalty try when a player knocked on in in-goal and an offside player recovered it to prevent an attacking player coming through and dotting down. Not even a thought about it.

Thoughts?? Anyone who saw the game.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Saw the Stirzaker incident, PT incident: it could've been although happy that he didn't give one. (Rebels fan hat on)

I thought the pillars from the Highlanders seemed to be pushing the offside line a lot of the time, especially in the 2nd half. Rebels as well, however CP seemed happy to let them get away with it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There was an almost carbon copy of the NRL tackle that put someone in a wheelchair that the referee decided was only worthy of a PK, despite watching it on the big screen.

Should have been at least YC, maybe even RC. The White player brought the Blue ball carrier to ground, never released him, picked him up and dropped him head downwards. The player got his arm down to protect himself, but that should never have come into it.

Referee missed what looked to me like a dead-set penalty try when a player knocked on in-goal and an offside player recovered it to prevent an attacking player coming through and dotting down. Not even a thought about it.

Are you talking about the incident where the ball rebounded off the post? If so, I didn't think the player who eventually grounded the ball was offside, even though he was in front of the teammate (White 8) who played the ball. The ball went backwards, and the offside player retreated behind White 8 to ground the ball. I would have thought he was put onside when he went behind White 8.

[LAWS]11.2 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY THE ACTION OF A TEAM-MATE
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by
actions of that player or of team mates:
(a) Action by the player. When the offside player runs behind the team-mate who last kicked,
touched or carried the ball, the player is put onside.[/LAWS]

One issue for me was in the second half when White almost scored a try after another White player ran past the ruck and took out a Blue defender standing on his goal-line at least 1 metre beyond the ruck. Anyone who watches American Football will recognise it as similar to a play called "counter gap", where blockers make a hole for the ball carrier to run through. Should have been a PK to Blue

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That tackle is worse than the NRL one. + it was off the ball. How it was only given a PK is unbelievable.

It wasn't, the play moved forward and the Highlanders scored only to be pulled back for a forward pass.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
That isn't the one I was referring to. I hadn't seen it and I don't think it was picked up by the officials. Looks like a Red Card to me. The one I referred to wasn't as bad, but still worthy of more than just a PK

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and was it material? the ball is played away to the right and the defender taken out wouldn't have been able to affect that.

that said... That has to be a YC and a PK in my book whatever otherwise you just end up with it happening "immaterially" all the time and flash points are inevitable.The blocker didn't think it was immaterial!

didds

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That tackle is a RC every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Off the ball, lifted past the horizontal and tackled player lands on his head/shoulder/neck area.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
and was it material? the ball is played away to the right and the defender taken out wouldn't have been able to affect that.

that said... That has to be a YC and a PK in my book whatever otherwise you just end up with it happening "immaterially" all the time and flash points are inevitable.The blocker didn't think it was immaterial!

didds

Serious question; why only Yellow?

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Highlanders wing Kurt Baker has been cited for a lifting tackle during their 33-30 win over the Melbourne Rebels in Dunedin.

A citing commissioner has acted on Baker's 12th minute tackle on Nick Stirzaker on Friday, in which the Rebels halfback was lifted from his feet.

The incident will be considered by a Sanzar judicial hearing.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Oh strewth! i've just watched it again!

No - you are right RobLev.

straight RC. Forget the materiality stuff!

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Clearly RC , clearly very dangerous.

However, if we saw 1000 of these , and then saw 1000 RL gang tackles where the legs were lifted, then I'd expect to see more injuries caused by the greater weight of three tacklers all holding driving/jumping on the BC as heads to the ground.

In my mind there is greater risk in the RL style of feet lifting of static(ish) players.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Mid range, 8 weeks + 2 as a deterrent. Minus 4 for guilty plea, apology and clean record.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Mid range, 8 weeks + 2 as a deterrent. Minus 4 for guilty plea, apology and clean record.

How does a deliberate tip-tackle off the ball with a deliberate drive into the ground get to be mid-range?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How does a deliberate tip-tackle off the ball with a deliberate drive into the ground get to be mid-range?

Because shooting someone four times, with a handgun from 3 yards is only upper mid range in that code.

Deterrent, yeah right, im laughing so much (not).... pop there goes another rib !

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He got 6 weeks from the judiciary, however the Highlanders are apparently standing him down for another 2 weeks on top of that.