Hind most player

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I suppose one argument is that the precise moment when the flanker unbinds is also the precise moment when the ball is no longer in the scrum. However for me the requirement is that the ball should be out before the flanker unbinds.

Determining the HMF is tricky, and I don't see any simple solution. What if the paclk is one short with no #8? Are all 4 second row players contenders? The pragmatic answer is to use common sense rather than a micrometer. That says a flanker is (in most cases) clearly NOT the HMF.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Peep, "Hands in the scrum, ball not out", PK.

Or Peep "Detaching early, PK" depending on whether he picked the ball up before or after he unbound.

Remember, the No. 8 isn't the only player who can unbind and pick up the ball. If the scrum is wheeled sufficiently so that the No. 8 is no longer the hindmost, but a flanker is, then he can unbind and pick up the ball.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I suppose one argument is that the precise moment when the flanker unbinds is also the precise moment when the ball is no longer in the scrum. However for me the requirement is that the ball should be out before the flanker unbinds.

Determining the HMF is tricky, and I don't see any simple solution. What if the paclk is one short with no #8? Are all 4 second row players contenders? The pragmatic answer is to use common sense rather than a micrometer. That says a flanker is (in most cases) clearly NOT the HMF.

And there speaks the voice of reason.

Good decision in the heat of battle, I say.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
LLP, think you got it right. It is harder under full scrum laws than U18 where only the no8 is in a position to pick up. Flankers who do this in my experience (as you found out) are also likely to handle in the scrum to keep it in.