How Do you mark the Line out? Just curious.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Where they are on the ground for me. They shouldn't be jumping across the tunnel anyway

They can jump across the line of touch in certain circumstances, but they can't be thrown across.

Players jumping for the ball who cross the mark of touch and do not catch the
ball must immediately return to their own side.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have had this but I now make it clear in the PMB that I will give the defensive mark and it is up to the attack to form the 1m gap. Law 18.10 comes into play. FK against the attack if they try to take the micheal. This also makes it easier for me than trying to decide who has been closing the gap.
In my match when it happend I actually gave not straight (I didn't know the law/sanction off the top of my head) as they threw the ball down the extra wide tunnel to their jumper. I then looked up the correct sanction after the match and saw what was obviously the answer. Now its stuck but has never happened again. Typical

You could, of course, give a FK for forming a tunnel >1m wide. Personally, I would prefer to use game management rather than award a FK.

If we keep going and allow the throw in, I expect the ball to be thrown straight relative to the mark of touch... therefore, if they want a wide gap, then they need to stretch for the ball... they can't throw the ball skewed so that the defending line cannot reach it. With this, if the team in possession decide to form a wider game, I make sure the hooker doesn't take a step towards his team before throwing the ball... teams quickly stop with a stupid gap after the first.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
You could, of course, give a FK for forming a tunnel >1m wide. Personally, I would prefer to use game management rather than award a FK.

If we keep going and allow the throw in, I expect the ball to be thrown straight relative to the mark of touch... therefore, if they want a wide gap, then they need to stretch for the ball... they can't throw the ball skewed so that the defending line cannot reach it. With this, if the team in possession decide to form a wider game, I make sure the hooker doesn't take a step towards his team before throwing the ball... teams quickly stop with a stupid gap after the first.
That is what I should of done but didn't know the specific law so gave the law I knew, not straight.

The reason this came about, they did a walk in lineout. So walked up leaving a greater than 1m gap and the ball was thrown in. No real time for game management so I just sanctioned not straight, as it wasn't. As you said, even though all I gave was not straight, they didn't do it again.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As you said, even though all I gave was not straight, they didn't do it again.
which suggests tpo me its something they think may possibly be a bit dodgy and some refs will and some refs wont etc ...