I agree with NO . . .

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I presume the bit you refer to is his view that it was an honest attempt at an intercept. I agree with him on that but disagree with the notion of calling 'last play' when time is expired.
I think it can lead to confusion.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
O have never heard anyone shout last play, in the middle of open play.

This is a great lesson in how he would be best advised to watch the play , rather than the stadium clock ... Took his eye off it

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I very much doubt that he looked at any clock. Probably fed information through Ref comms - lesson from the previous week?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Either way I don't think it's a good call for a ref to make in open play. I happily tell players the time .. but when the ball is dead.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So that one game contained two things that I have never seen a referee do on a adult rugby field before
1 forcing a player to make a public apology to an opponent
2 an announcement in open play that time has expired

I think NO is becoming more and more maverick ... I wonder if he will make the world cup ..

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Whilst I agree it might be seen as a reasonable attempt at an intercept, he carried on and dived on the ball on the ground, stopping Ulster from playing, but at that scoreline that was not a material error.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Whilst I agree it might be seen as a reasonable attempt at an intercept, he carried on and dived on the ball on the ground, stopping Ulster from playing, but at that scoreline that was not a material error.

But that's allowed
Until the ref blows his whistle both sides can play the ball

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Nothing wrong with diving on the ball there. Any player having knocked on should recover the ball if possible for two reasons:

1: Ref may hve been unsighted in which case play on!

2: He is allowed to stop advantage occuring in this was so we go back for the scrum or "no side", as in this case.

So not a material error because it was not an error by Owens.