I have never refereed a 7's game.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I never enjoyed playing 7's as much as 15 a side, but the ironic thing is that when I did play for the school, we won the regional competition - which we didn't at 15 a side. Work that one out then. :chin:

There are a number of well attended 7s tournaments in my area and we constantly get asked to referee them, but I have never volunteered for them. In fact, I have never refereed a 7s game in my life; not even 1. :sad:

I am reasonably confident with my fitness (surprisingly) and by now pretty confident in my ability as a 15 a side Ref, but how difficult is it really reffing a 7s game compared to a 15 a side match? I know the speed will be faster and I think I can cope with that, but what I would like to know is, are there other Refs out there who were in a similar position to me who could offer nuggets of advice?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I started reffing 7s this season. It is easier the better the palyers are at 7s. I did the Urdd national 7s in Cardiff. Each day was a different age group, going from year 7 (1st year high school) up. That first day I covered a lot of ground. It was really 15s played with 7 players. The games did not stop. As we worked through the next two days It was notable that the general pace DROPPED. The player tookk time on the ball to look for gaps and the games developed more into "chess" with players prodding and poking for gaps. THEN they went for it.If found it a lot less taxing.

Sadly the weather interveened and the final two days were called off. The big hightlight for lot of the kids on one day was Ben O'Keeffe reffing a couple of games. He was here to ref the Wales France games and he was invited by Paul Adams to come over and ref some games. I don't know how many games he did but there was qute a buzz amongst the kids.

My next 7s was at Cardiff Arms Park a week ago with an Under 15's Schools event I did three of the 10 games and that was a step up they we well drilled and we coached for 7's. after doing an under 15s Cardiff Schoold Plate final at 3pm the 7s starting at 6 was a test in the sun but great fun.

I am due to ref at Old Luctonians in June at a "social 7s" so my first experience of adult 7s. It should be interesting.

Give it a try. Watch a game or two first if you can and see how nthe more experienced guys do it. I was advised to ref "between the 15s". And remember the golden rule. Always get to the 22 when a try is scored!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
How did you find you coped with the different laws?

My fear is that I will apply a 15 a side law in a 7s game and look a right prat. :wow:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Advantage is very different .. it has to be pretty much immediate (and usually it is) otherwise peep and they take a quick tap.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How did you find you coped with the different laws?

My fear is that I will apply a 15 a side law in a 7s game and look a right prat. :wow:

Not a lot of difference to be honest. I was more concerned about the age group differences each day. Perhaps that took away the worry of the 7s variations. Also you are chatting and watching when you are not on so you are constantly getting, and sharing, support.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
. And remember the golden rule. Always get to the 22 when a try is scored!

Indeed.....preferably the one nearest where the try is scored!!

I did award a try one time sitting on my butt on the half way line!!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Indeed.....preferably the one nearest where the try is scored!!

I did award a try one time sitting on my butt on the half way line!!

Indeed. I proudly commented to my younger colleague that I was in the 22 for every score. And he pointed out your "qualification". We had more barracking among the three refs than from the crowd.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

any in particular? Fairly straight forward: restart infringement = FK and all shots at goal drop kicks.

In lots of ways 7s is easier. Not so many players to have to look around/over.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I referee a bit of 7s in the summer and I'm 55. I usually try and stay between the 15m lines and find standing in a RL sort of area (ie behind the defence) helpful as you can see the tackle area ok because there's fewer bodies and rucks are rare or if they occur only have two combatants.

Of course standing RL style makes you vulnerable to the interception.

Generally unless it's elite sorts there's enough of a spectrum of abilities at most tournaments to suit most referees

As above. Don't get 22'd.

Beckett of this parish has seen me referee at Olney (a great tournament with sides taking it seriously, Social, Ladies etc) and he didn't piss himself too much - from what I remember (hic!)